Glowforge updates: the road to production

I’m late to the party because I was away. Let me join the chorus… this was exactly what we asked for and upholds credibility. Dan needs to get late to bed every few weeks or so. Sorry about that.

5 Likes

1/4" plywood. It’s just miles better than anything else we’ve found.

16 Likes

Maybe a nitpicky question, but how thick is the 1/4" plywood you’re using? 6mm, 15/64, something else? Don’t need to know anytime soon, of course :slight_smile:

(If not already in the hopper, accurate thicknesses and tolerances for proofgrade should go in.)

4 Likes

thank you so much Dan!
getting excited!
give your team a high five for me, or maybe I’ll drive up from Portland and do it myself :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Love the detailed update thank you

2 Likes

Still believing in you and the team Dan. Keep up the hard work! Wish I was your local Starbucks barista encouraging you through shots of espresso

4 Likes

1/4" nominal is anywhere from 0.2-0.22 in my experience. The stuff we’re using now is in that range but I don’t want to set expectations as it may not be final.

We have a starbucks across the street, but even better, we’ve got a Macrina kittycorner to our office too!

4 Likes

:slight_smile: We just had Glowforge update storytime in our living room. Thanks for the update!

6 Likes

Thanks Dan. I’m in it for the long haul. Keep up the good work.

1 Like

Thanks for the updates, esp. considering a lot of us “owners” actually still don’t own one… XD… paid for it, but don’t have it… the $200 worth of wood or whatever workable materials is nice b/c when you pay over $1500.00 for something you really want to use to make things to sell yourself b/c that is why you bought the thing in the first place well… you want to start making/selling stuff fast.
Also… I must say that and I re-iterate: How can I prove to you that I can be a very useful team member if I live far away and really cannot travel to Seattle to meet with you in person b/c I am… well… I cannot drive. (And that it not by choice, but by my own personal physical make-up as a human w/medical…) I figured being a woman and also having well… issues of that nature would help me get some brownie points towards being hired by your company, but so far nothing… I know I can make awesome things for you. I applied to work for you when I first bought my machine, hoping having bought one I could use it to show you that I’d be great to hire, despite the fact that I live in Los Angeles and not Seattle and have no intentions of moving… however… ???

Good news to here. Thanks for the update.

Have you seen the Glowforge Jobs Page?

Second sentence states that “All our current positions are Seattle-based,”

Right now, they only need people who can interact face-to-face to get problems worked out immediately.

Down the road they might expand that to include people from around the country to include designs in their design catalog, but they aren’t there yet. And they don’t have the time now to address the potential future designs until they get the machine building phase out of the way.

Just keep an eye on the specific job descriptions that they list, and the requirements of each job, and if you feel you meet those requirements, (and if they don’t involve relocation, which you don’t want to do)…then you apply for that position.

(They make it easier than any outfit I’ve ever seen…you just have to hit a button to apply for a position.)

Or wait until we are all allowed to submit designs for sale…(that stage usually follows the building stage.)

You’ve got time to put together a pretty hefty portfolio of designs to sell so you can be ready for it, and eager as you are, I’m sure you’ve probably got quite a few ready to go already. :slight_smile:

And there is always Etsy for a cool marketplace too, if the catalog isn’t ready in time.

Spend the time now building up your offerings so you can hit the ground running when the time comes.

:relaxed:

9 Likes

I second Jules on this. In fact, you can go it one better by finding a local Makerspace or university maker lab where you can get some time on a laser cutter so you can test and tweak your designs. You may also be able to start making money off of them on Etsy or elsewhere while you’re waiting for your Glowforge. There’s nothing like actually seeing how your design turns out on a cutter to help you learn how to design for a laser.

5 Likes

Good call! It’s 4am on Saturday here now, but my 7yo is going to be so excited to read this update when he wakes up :grin:

2 Likes

Thankyou so much for the update. I’m excited for hardware like I haven’t been since team project product builds (for ElecEng) at university - and I agree with the people that said they’d like to see a book on the process. An update like this should be required reading for all the engineering team project and project management students :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thanks for the update! If you need a mechanical engineer’s help, let me know. It looks like you’re looking more at coding engineers…

1 Like

Appreciate the update @dan. One thing that has been playing on my mind but I keep forgetting to ask the question - will each Glowforge be fitted with the plug pertaining to the country they are being shipped to, i.e. I am UK so will it have a UK plug fitted? Thanks in advance and keep up the good work!

1 Like

Good question. This topic mentions it but back in the fall it was you might have to get a local cord.

3 Likes

Great update Dan…lots of good stuff going on!!!

1 Like

We’re not actively searching for an ME but if you can send us our resume at jobs@glowforge.com and we’d love to take a look!

You’ll need a C14 power cord - the kind that comes with every computer.

3 Likes