Glowforge updates: the road to production

@dan I noticed the update on the packaging. While this is a wishlist item, it would be great if I could easily repack the Glowforge into the original shipping box so I can take it with me when doing demo’s or onsites.

If this isn’t possible, perhaps some sort of a glowforge transportation system? Rolling bag or something?

4 Likes

I plan to keep the original packaging just for transporting the 'forge.
I’ll take pics as it is unboxed. The company spent considerable time and money engineering the shipping protection, and would be your best bet unless you want to step up to a Pelican box or equivalent.
If transporting the unit is a regular occurrence I would probably upgrade to a permanent solution like a Pelican.

7 Likes

I appreciate the update, it really builds confidence, that we will be receiving the Glowforge we hoped for, even if its taking longer than expected.

2 Likes

The Pelican 1780 would fit the bill. Not as pricey as I thought it would be!

5 Likes

I have always been happy with pelican we have used them for some serious items

2 Likes

I kept my iMac’s box for as long as I could for that reason. It came with a handle built into the top of it.

2 Likes

That’s our goal. As mentioned you might want to use something designed for repeated use like a Pelican if you’re doing this often, but for occasional use, the included packaging is designed to be reusable.

15 Likes

@dan Thanks! I also really appreciate the update.

Thanks for the update! Good detailed info

1 Like

Five months Max to go

4 Likes

Here’s to hoping these next few months fly by! :beers:

5 Likes

Guessing the team putting everything together and fixing bugs don’t feel the same way.

10 Likes

So you’re saying it is safe to presume you’re designing the packaging for a specific Pelican case?

1 Like

Not exactly, but we have shipped the GF in pelicans before.

4 Likes

It’s fun imagining you standing outside GFHQ trying to put a 'forge in the mouth of a large bird.

“Are you guys sure this is right?”
“Customers keep saying that they want to be able to transport their GF in a pelican, so we have to test it!”
“Well… ok… but this just seems silly.”

15 Likes

@dan announces partnership with Microsoft to speed delivery of Glowforges via Pelicans.

19 Likes

@likeablejerk and @wesleyjames you two are silly…lol
In the voice of Gru… “Back to Work!”

6 Likes

What a fabulous bird the pelican. His beak holds more than his belly can.

9 Likes

oh god please no. just how like microsoft royally messed up the oculus shipment, theyd prob do the same. we dont need another delay.

The horror! THE HORROR!

37 Likes