Glowforge updates: the road to production

Hi Dan and fellow members! May I know approximately when will Glowforge team send an email to me asking me to update them about my shipping address?

My order was place during the Crowdfunding Campaign which the announcement said it’s scheduled to ship all orders placed before 2016 Oct 25.

Thanks!

Cheers,
Irene

Irene, If you placed your order before October 25th 2015, then per the top sticky message, “Crowdfunding Campaign: We’re scheduled to ship all orders placed before Oct 25 by the end of December.”

That means that you can expect your all important and exciting email sometime before December 31st 2016. In fact, if all continues to go as planned and no more delays, you should have your Glowforge in your hands before December 31st, 2016. Unless of course if you live overseas from the US, then there could be some delays (Customs, Gov’t, etc…), but it will be shipped before December 31st.

3 Likes

Ahh I see… Thank you for your prompt reply Jim! :slight_smile:

The folks that really know about transporting gear on the road are those in the music industry. If you’re going to frequently take your Glowforge out, take a look at Anvil cases (also known as flight cases, ATA cases, Road Cases, etc.). Ones of the size appropriate for the Glowforge would likely include large wheels so that it can be easily moved while maintaining a horizontal position. The sides of a case that large are typically 1/2" plywood with foam inside and rugged metal corners. You can get them custom made to any size (and shape) needed.

These cases are not cheap (similar range to Pelicans), and they frequently hold equipment costing many thousands of dollars. They are easy to roll into a venue and are often used as tables as well as cases. Some even have retractable legs for such use. Audio professionals use these to load gear into and out of venues under tight time schedules day in, day out.

11 Likes

I used to repair these cases all the time.

They are tough and if you aren’t dropping them off the back of a truck all the time then they would protect the glowforge well. It could also serve as a table as you said and provide material storage underneath. Honestly if you are handy enough I would just build your own.

The big downside is that you need a bigger vehicle to transport them. Part of their ability to protect is their shear size.

Could be a very good answer for some but not all.

5 Likes

I think I posted this a while back, but if not: Road-Ready is one of the companies that makes those cases, and they sell parts like corners, butterfly latches, handles, and lift-away hinge sets (not sure what those are actually called).
Those types of cases are not waterproof they way Pelican cases are.
Not so much an issue for cases of the size to fit a Glowforge, but when we used pelican cases to carry camera equipment in The City we called them “steal-me” cases… cause they tend to scream out “expensive equipment inside!”. Especially the bright orange ones.

6 Likes

And then there is this:

5 Likes

5 Likes
7 Likes
5 Likes

Windows is better than the old DEC VAC OS was for development tools and as Microsoft has upgraded its operating systems since NT there have been devices that have been orphaned by original equipment manufacturers (OEMs). This has left users in the dilemma of upgrading their hardware, find a third party driver for their hardware that works with the new version of operating system (OS), or, if neither is acceptable, develop a driver for their hardware which will work with the new OS. If the user decides to move the existing hardware to an open source OS such as Free BSD or Lynx they often will still have to write drivers for their CNC machines, test and engineering machines. Historically Microsoft has provided driver development kits that help in the development or porting of the of the drivers for orphaned hardware. Windows 10 has presented a number of issues given the amount of hardware that OEMs have decided to orphan and no longer write/support device drivers for. These include legacy printers, storage devices and displays. With the recent release of the Windows 10 Anniversary update the list of no longer supported devices and software has grown again.

1 Like

Interesting…I had a different experience. When I upgraded to Win 8 I found alot of my peripherals and software was not compatable, however when I recently upgraded to Win 10, they worked again…
Most importantly Corel 5 and my old laser’s print interface that works off the old LPT board. I had to keep my computer that worked the lasers on Win 7 since Win 8 rendered both inoperable. They both now work with Win 10.

8 Likes

Him inside… the geeky man I love… He thinks that’s pretty cool. Of course, we don’t have any lasers yet, nor old windows programs… but something that would run my 10-12 year old Mac programs would be a big win.

I now have three of my older HP Laser Printers that are unsupported by Windows 10 that were supported Windows 8, as well as a number of iSCSI controllers. I have got to spilt my time between working on updating drivers and building my latest sea kayak.

2 Likes

If you are talking about a Mac Classic (OS9) emulator, I have had success with SheepShaver. It’s a long time since I’ve used it, though.

No, early OS X.
Before the Intel switch.

Hmmm. I wonder if PearPC http://pearpc.sourceforge.net/about.html would work for you. I have not used it, but it is supposed to work with 10.3.

Crowdfunders NEED TO KNOW… will you please give me my Super-Special-Ultra-Awesome-Chocolate-Coated Super Laser Thingy by Christmas 2016 if I Ordered it October 25th 2016??? PLEASE!!!

2 Likes

Regardless if you meant to put Oct 25th 2015 or truly meant Oct 25th 2016 (future date), you will still be slated to get your GlowForge March 2017.

Unfortunately we had to draw the line somewhere, and that somewhere is midnight the 24th, so no - I can’t guarantee we’ll do that.

2 Likes