Glowforges at conferences (CES and elsewhere)

I’ve read elsewhere, about trade show demos of the GF where ambient light (aka the sun) interfered with camera system in the GF. So, two questions:

1. Is it true that sunlight and/or other sources of bright light landing inside the cutting chamber will disrupt the vision system?

2. If yes to #1, does the GF need to be placed away from any windows that face the sun?

1 Like

IF that were the case (which I have no idea about) you can always just put a piece of paper over the lid…

1 Like

Perhaps a tinted glass door for the next iteration.

Not sure how it will work for the GlowForge but I use the smaller HooToo when I am traveling and love it! They are super cheep and work really well for a little traveling router. You et you can connect several devices to it which is great for hotel stays where they want to charge you per device. You can also stream content from it since you can plug in a USB stick with docs, movies and images.

We haven’t written the ambient light calibration software yet, so at the moment every Glowforge is hard coded for a typical indoor environment.

I wouldn’t worry about it.

2 Likes

Sadly I missed the CES conference this year… Will you guys be at any other showings/conferences in the near future?

It too bad that the “biggest crowdfunding campaign in history” isnt true anymore.
…darn Tesla people

1 Like

Which one beat them?

Also, I just found this list https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest_funded_crowdfunding_projects

Shouldn’t Glowforge be on this?

Glowforge and Tesla should both be on the list. @nick07lee was referring to the Tesla Model 3, which is $1,000 to hold a pre-order and has passed 400,000 orders.

We need a second vehicle. I REALLY want the Tesla 3. But buying a vehicle which will be here in the next 2-4 years doesn’t exactly fill the second vehicle requirement I have now…

3 Likes

Depending on what their production line is like, with that many pre-orders you can get a used second car now and be in line for the Model 3 around the time the car you get now is ready to quit.

You could take a look at Elio Motors. And I’m not just plugging them because I bought there stock. :wink:

1 Like

You mean sorta like like buying a laser cutter which isn’t here fulfilling your current cutting needs? :open_mouth:

2 Likes

I don’t think @jacobturner has many cutting needs that need to be filled like the rest of us lol
It’s getting desperate I tell yas!

Exactly.
We were talking at work how they basically managed to get a half billion dollar loan at 0% interest. A pretty slick business plan if you ask me.

1 Like

I am one of the fortunate few to already have a laser, and be going after the GF for the bells and whistles. But yes, the email just now combined with my comment puts a different spin than I had intended to the words.

1 Like

Ya know, for a meh PSU I am definitely willing to wait for the new PSU to get proven. I like my house not burned down!

4 Likes

you know, I’ve always liked a not-burnt-down-house as well. not quite as warm, but much more cozy. and vertical

2 Likes

I decided to lease a Nissan Leaf. I found a charger for around $500, lots less than the $2000 other companies charge. I lease the thing for $250 a month and all maintenance is free. In CA, I put $2400, but got $2500 in rebates. It was a pretty awesome deal. I love the car, and it costs about $30 a month in power. Our longest commute is 26 miles one-way, the car is fine. Also, we get single person carpool lane privileges.

As for buying one, that’s another issue. Knowing that batteries are going to improve dramatically over the next few years, I was not willing to commit to purchasing one. My 3 year lease is up in 10 months. I think I’ll lease another.

1 Like