Glowforges at conferences (CES and elsewhere)

I believe we’re using liquid helium, but I’ll have to check with Mark…

1 Like

:joy:

3 Likes

Second interview from the fireside chat.

Do conferences allow you to bring your own router and get a wired connection to the router? You guys could park a wifi router of your own directly below the machine to ensure connection.

I am contemplating such a setup myself if I ever move the GlowForge regularly. Because having to set up a wifi connection at every school I demo the thing in could quickly become a nightmare.

1 Like

solder the antenna connections together and cover in some incredibly high density shielding to create an uninterruptible hard wired wifi connection LOL

That’s the one thing we don’t know. How “easy” is to reconfigure the SSID once it’s been configured/paired once. So this suggestion is under speculation that the device has to reset (network settings) when introduced to a new wireless connection. In your case I’d get a wireless bridge. The type that does wireless to ethernet and can also act as a repeater. Then configure the glowforge to that (the bridge). That way as far as the glowforge is concerned it’s the same network no matter where you are. So you’d just show up. Plug in the glowforge and the bridge. Plug the bridge to the schools wired network and your good to go.

The other option is if you know the system/network admin of the school network. They could setup a consistent SSIDs at all the campuses. So that way you can just show up and get going.

1 Like

Ive been considering picking one of these up for different reasons, but would work really well in this case:
http://www.amazon.com/HooToo-Wireless-Performance-10400mAh-External/dp/B00RVIGY1I/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1453406269&sr=8-3&keywords=portable+router

they have a range of smaller ones as well. this one is pretty cool:

Yeah, exactly what I was trying to describe doing. Forgot about the little guys meant for hotel hoppers. Even though I use one on my current laser.

Depends on the conference - some do. We do use that approach. One of our wifi problems turned out to be… this is embarrassing… someone forgot to screw in the antennas after removing them for shipping.

Sigh.

2 Likes

Looks like you guys need a few of them “check the obvious things” signs :slight_smile:
I spend 2 hours over Christmas trying to debug a driver issue and then noticing the USB cable wasn’t plugged in all the way (computer recognized something was there…but that was about it…drove me nuts).

Priceless. The other night in the hospital the patient wristband printer wasn’t working. So the nurses were running to another floor to print them. I figured, it can’t be that hard to solve this (as both a doc and IT). I asked “is it plugged in?” and was assured yes. The printer’s power cord was plugged in, and the cord went into an outlet, but nobody looked behind the file cabinet. The brick on the cord has an IEC plug in the middle, which someone in moving the file cabinet had disconnected slightly. Needless to say 50+ patient wrist bands spewed out, and I raised nursing productivity overnight by 10%…

6 Likes

Before y’all start duct-taping WiFi routers to the side of your GF, I suggest running a test of the anticipated signal strength and interference where the GF will be located. The most common issue I’ve observed, is most WiFi routers are put into service with the default channels of 6 or 11. While your home router on the same channel will likely win due to its higher signal strength, sometimes subtle environmental changes can tilt the balance of power. Simply changing to a clear(er) channel can have a transformative effect, without having to purchase any new hardware.

2 Likes

I’ve read elsewhere, about trade show demos of the GF where ambient light (aka the sun) interfered with camera system in the GF. So, two questions:

1. Is it true that sunlight and/or other sources of bright light landing inside the cutting chamber will disrupt the vision system?

2. If yes to #1, does the GF need to be placed away from any windows that face the sun?

1 Like

IF that were the case (which I have no idea about) you can always just put a piece of paper over the lid…

1 Like

Perhaps a tinted glass door for the next iteration.

Not sure how it will work for the GlowForge but I use the smaller HooToo when I am traveling and love it! They are super cheep and work really well for a little traveling router. You et you can connect several devices to it which is great for hotel stays where they want to charge you per device. You can also stream content from it since you can plug in a USB stick with docs, movies and images.

We haven’t written the ambient light calibration software yet, so at the moment every Glowforge is hard coded for a typical indoor environment.

I wouldn’t worry about it.

2 Likes

Sadly I missed the CES conference this year… Will you guys be at any other showings/conferences in the near future?

It too bad that the “biggest crowdfunding campaign in history” isnt true anymore.
…darn Tesla people

1 Like