Glowforges at conferences (CES and elsewhere)

Range isnt really an issue for me, its just the potential for interference that im concerned about. I do design and testing, so I have a bevy of wireless devices sitting around running all the time. Its great having all these toys, but I do on occasion run into connection consistency issues.

Hey, I just wanted to pop in and thank all the owners that came by the booth! It was so nice to meet you and your excitement and energy was really infectious. It definitely helped keep my spirits up through the show. Even though I lost my voice halfway through, I was always glad to talk to you and hear all your cool plans for the Glowforge. <3

5 Likes

Yes, thanks everyone who came by! Trust you me, I was very disappointed to have to tell a few of you that we weren’t able to run a demo when you’d clearly come out of your way to see us. I hope it was still awesome for you to see the forge in person, albeit maybe not running.

@gdmccormack - I’m talking to you! Thanks for your understanding and for the kudos. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

My bad - I neglected to emphasize that meeting the people behind the magic is every bit as magic itself - I’m talking to you, Bailey! It’s the people making it happen that save the day, every day, so thank you for coming to the show!

3 Likes

I second the motion to include a wired Ethernet port. Wireless technology creates the perception that it works better than it actually does, because it’s generally applied to mobile devices, where shifting position/orientation dodges the reception issues before you even notice. The GF doesn’t look very mobile to me, so I expect that once it’s set down, that will be its wireless lot in life. Yes, CES is certainly a good stress test, but my own neighborhood is pretty challenging too. There are currently 16 other wireless networks around me (that I don’t control), and most of them are using the default channels 6 and 11. And if one of my neighbors decides to take up arc welding as a hobby, then it’s “game over”. Given the incredible enthusiasm I observe from the eager owners on these message boards, it could be challenging to convince them to carefully configure and test the GF’s wireless link before using the machine.

My free advice for owners: place your cell phone or tablet in the exact spot you’re planning to put your GF and run a WiFi scan to (hopefully) find a relatively clear channel and a strong signal from your router. If you do this in advance of delivery, you’ll have time to clear any issues.

And finally, one other suggestion based on the shipping issues you had with CES: something akin to a locking pin to secure the moving bits would be really handy - not just for shipping, but also when the owners move their GF from one spot to another, like when trying to find a location with better WiFi reception :wink:

2 Likes

Fluid in reservoir = water?

So is this a consideration when moving the GF around - is it completely sealed, or is there a way to drain it before transporting?

I haven’t searched to see if there’s another thread this is or should be posted in, but here is a great android app. For monitoring wifi channels and signal strength. WiFi analyzer I know there are Apple ones also.

1 Like

@tbelhumer I’m not aware of any similar thread but I think these suggestions should be in their own thread so I just created one:

Good idea John! @gdmccormack there are some older threads that go into more detail on the ethernet question, but the short answer is - good idea, can’t do it.

I personally think the most interesting new feature I see in the photos is that glow forge has a sensor that matches its glow to @dan s shirt color! Which will be somewhat strange when it is at my house and @Dan puts on a different shirt… And do we as owners get some sort of say in what color he wears on a daily basis?

3 Likes

Ha! The current LEDs are pretty purple. Our new ones are whiter - this is still an old lid/glass/camera assembly, as you can see by our old logo.

Fireside Chat with Dan Shapiro, CEO of Glowforge (Ubiquity Dev Summit 2016)

Just starting to watch this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PacXfucVWBc

7 Likes

ah nice! thanks for the link @rpegg

or is it just that all your shirts are…

Thank you @dan and all the others in your staff. It is refreshing to know that your are willing to be open enough to let us know about your bad days, and challenges with the GF too. I am excited to hear when you start shipping, but not before they are ready. Once again thank you for being open and honest with us.

2 Likes

I love this level of transparency Dan. Thanks for the detailed response!

1 Like

The cooling system is designed to be filled once at the factory and then transported with coolant in place and without need for maintenance. We haven’t finalized our decision on the coolant yet.

2 Likes

I vote for lime jello.

Everclear 190

Banana pudding, maybe? (@jasonrodman make it so!)