Glowforge's Definition of Shipping

I am a fan of rosemary as well, but cilantro is life.

3 Likes

Cilantro tastes like soap to me and should be banned at all places.

www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/06/24/why-does-cilantro-taste-bad-like-soap_n_7653808.html

8 Likes

Provided they actually hit their deadline this time (and Im not sure why I would assume that they do) and people get what they paid for so long ago there wont be any reason to complain. Don’t mischaracterize the interactions of the forum. People aren’t coming here because its fun to harp on a company. They’re justifiably upset at repeated lapses by this company. I hope I get my laser when I’m supposed to and then I can actually do the things I planned to do so long ago.
Plus theres far more threads about various projects than there are voicing complaints anyways. I think the forum will be fine.

2 Likes

Well, first I’m going to ignore your implication that there’s anything wrong with tasting like soap, since I have rosemary soap and we can all agree that rosemary is a good thing.

Cilantro tastes like joy. Joy on tacos, or salsa, or whatever you’re eating.

(See? We can find lots of things to argue about. I feel better. This forum is going to be fine.)

7 Likes

Cilantro is called coriander here, so we don’t even agree what it is called. Picked some today to put in corn fritters my wife and I made. I like the taste but I can see why some people think it taste like soap. Everybody has a unique sense of taste unlike say hearing and vision.

4 Likes

Interesting! I always referred to the leafy plant as cilantro and the seed pods as coriander. Regardless, corn fritters sound wonderful.

5 Likes

Yes they are nice made with fresh ingredients straight from the garden. Used the last two ears of our corn. The plant stems are now acting as poles for the runner beans.

2 Likes

I think you joking around, but if you aren’t:

3 Likes

Well we all have pretty much the same ears and eyes but we have a different random selection of hundreds of types of smell detector. So yes people brains can interpret senses differently, but when it comes to taste (which is largely smell) then the input information is different.

1 Like

I could probaby bore someone for days going on about the differences in visual input. But the hardware definitely isn’t the same, between individuals and especially across ages and genetic variations. Plus ~1 in 10 have red-green colorblindness, and it gets weirder from there…

2 Likes

Yes, this distinction is standard in US English. The word “cilantro” comes from Spanish and we use that word for the leaves which are so often found in Mexican-style cooking, whereas “coriander” is a French word that Americans usually use only for the seeds. The UK, lacking strong ties to Mexican cuisine, uses the word “coriander” for all parts of the plant.

The French “coriandre” comes from the Latin “coriandrum” (a Romanization of the Greek “κορίαννον”).

Interestingly, Latin also had “coliandrum” as a regional variant. The Spanish “cilantro” comes from that term, as does the Old English “cellendre”. Old French had “coliandre”, which gave Middle English “coliaundre”. In fact, “coliander” remained a common English spelling up through the 17th century.

7 Likes

thanks for this most interesting reply!

I’m waiting for my Glowforge since 6/9/2016 !!! Specifically, I think I’m being cheated

I’m waiting for my Glowforge since 6/9/2016 !!! Specifically, I think I’m being cheated

Most people who have ordered are still waiting; you aren’t alone.

What are you concerned about with regards to feeling cheated? Do you feel like glowforge isn’t going to ever send you a laser, or are you concerned that whatever you will receive won’t work, or what? Are you just nervous because it’s so much money? Is there something specific you want information about?

3 Likes

I feel like glowforge isn’t going to ever send me a laser, and yes it’s very much money to wait 1 year and a half, and answer me with such questions

If you poke around on the forum a bit, you can see the stuff posted by people who have already received their lasers. It might be reassuring to see their experiences, and to know that glowforge is making and sending lasers. At least to a few of the very first customers. It also gives you a pretty good idea about what is currently possible and which features still… Being developed.

If you don’t like what you see, or still feel like glowforge is scamming and won’t send a laser, I believe you can still request a refund. I’m not suggesting you should or that your concerns aren’t valid, just making sure you know it’s an option if you want to take advantage of it.

It is a lot of money and it has definitely been a long wait. We can all sympathise with you - we are all going through the same experience. For whatever that is worth.

4 Likes

Your in line to get your Glowforge, but its going to be awhile. The current deadline for you is:

All Other Orders: We are scheduled to ship all other orders (including placed today) by November 30, 2017.

Keep in mind that “Shipping” means they send you an e-mail, your Glowforge would be up to 6 weeks later, so sometime in January 2018 at the latest. Unless there is another delay…

Edit: Apparently 2018 comes before 2019… Who knew :confused:

1 Like

You may want to edit that to January 2018 :blush:

1 Like

…unless he was being sarcastic.

1 Like