Glowforging in a Mobile Home? I also have a 27 inch iMac

So… Live has thrown me a curveball, and I’m looking at the possibility of purchasing a winnebago or equivalent and taking my fine self on the road

I know some folks forge on the road - I’m curious if anyone has insight about doing so - and also traveling with a major Mac (27 inch iMac)… I JUST bought the Mac and would hate to depart with it, though I will if it isn’t reasonable for that kind of dwelling

9 Likes

That sounds like one heck of a curve :frowning_face: I can’t help but I do want to send you some success vibes. Hopefully you’re able to craft the perfect rolling design and forge studio!

3 Likes

@jbmanning5 IS the authority.

This might be a good read for you. I was threatened 🙀

I think step one is: get a dog.

13 Likes

@tjleasa beat me to finking out @jbmanning5 I see no reason why you can’t take the mac, I’ve seen 40+" tvs.

6 Likes

I was in a 40’ School bus for many years 3D printing in gold long before they had robots to do that, but yes @jbmanning5 is doing that with a Gllowforge in current real-time and preparation for just moving down the road as I hate to think of the usual bumps and what they would do to a Glowforge that did not have all the fluorescent gadgets installed and the head tucked safely in the foam.

2 Likes

Lots!

Don’t!

No reason you can’t bring it along.

A dog is mandatory.

I have a 43” and and a 32”.

7 Likes

I lived on a boat for about 5 years and will give you a heads up.
Your concept of S.T.U.F.F.™ will drastically change.
You will get there eventually on your own, but I will give you the end game on where you end up whenever looking at something.
You will need to ask yourself:
WHERE WILL IT GO?
If you cannot answer that, nor have something else you are willing to give up to make a spot, then it does not get bought.

Other than that, life does simplify a bit when you are putting all your S.T.U.F.F.™ into a tidy compact living spot.

12 Likes

Sounds exciting! I hope this is all positive development, and if not I hope it becomes one.

Please post pictures of the dog everyone is telling you to get.

7 Likes

Here’s some power usage data from Apple. No reason you cant take the iMac with you.

4 Likes

Power is definitely a consideration but I’ve been ok thus far on as low as 30-amp hookups, even in the Texas heat (100+).

With one AC running, glue machine on, laser running, incidentals stuff leeching power, air compressor kicking on occasionally, battery inverter, I’m right about 27 amps.

5 Likes

A boat and especially a sailboat is very extreme on this as another force is acting as well that the bigger the boat the more unwieldy it gets and the expense of everything goes up logarithmically. and what would not fall in an earthquake will still fall over when the boat is underway,

All that makes a motorhome feel very forgiving.

2 Likes

If Ihad a mac I would not depart with it - I’d leave it behind LOL - just kidding

Step two is forging it a collar.

8 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.