Gold hunting!

Is there a matte or ‘satin’ finish gold foil that’s laser safe ? Oracal 352 is wonderful, but a mirror finish ( thanks for the samples, Cynd11 -they were brilliant, in both senses of the word).
I bought a roll of Oracal 651 with the matte finish, but it’s not laser safe showing chlorine present in a flame test.

Been searching the net for several days now, but can’t match the finish to a description that gives a clue to their chemistry. (I have previous plastic chemistry knowledge, but not helping, so far !)
John

3 Likes

Is there a reason it can’t be a paint? Lots of good paint options.

3 Likes

Heat transfer film in matte… maybe not ideal.

I was googling for “matte gold polyurethane film”, “matte gold polyester film”.

Using “-vinyl” excludes too much because these vendors till call it vinyl, even though it’s not made of vinyl.

3 Likes

Tricky. The fan stick, made from basswood, is an inlay of ‘garnets’,

printed on sublidecal, in a filigree of ‘gold’.
Photo to follow.

14 Likes

Thanks for that link.
I’m not familiar with the HTV process, so I’ve avoided it so far. I need to do some research !
John

3 Likes

You could make the fan from matte gold acrylic?

4 Likes

You could spray your finished pieces with oracal352 with a clear matte finish?

Something like:

3 Likes

SWMBO is allergic to the smell of cutting acrylic ( even with my good extraction fans).

:upside_down_face:

2 Likes

The spray paint might be the way to go. It would give me the possibility of adjusting the gold color as well.

4 Likes

Well “spray paint” is overselling what they have there. it’s a clear matte finish, so you can spray it on your existing gold stuff and it just gives it a matte surface. It might still be too glossy.

Then there’s this:

https://www.amazon.com/Specialty-Frosted-Glass-Aerosol-Alkyd/dp/B081TL8B75/

Which is like a frosted glass spray. Might give you more of what you’re looking for? Hard to say without trying it, and I’ve only ever used the clear stuff to seal paper on my mandalas, like this one:

I made the layers, glued them up, then sprayed with the clear sealant to protect the paper. It didn’t change the look of it at all, but then paper is already matte.

4 Likes

Maybe this: 6" x 25' Engravable Laser Foil

3 Likes

That looks good, but at ~ $28 for the roll, + $16 for delivery, it works out at $3.50 a square foot. Ouch!
But I might have to bite the bullet, and go with it, even though it’s only planned to be a single fan.
:upside_down_face:

Thanks again.

4 Likes

I might give this a try, but I’m wary of spraying onto the thin basswood (1mm) as it has a tendency to curl.
# Krylon High-Gloss Metallic Gold Leaf Metallic Spray Paint

3 Likes

Generally you can counter this by finishing both sides at the same time. Curling tends to happen when you treat two sides of wood differently… if you hit both sides at the same time it should (in theory) equilibrize the effects.

5 Likes

I have used this and it looks good. Sometimes peels if it’s ‘really’ intricate.

1 Like

I have used it and experimented with it. I have had great results even when adhering it to an irregular surface such as cork fabric.

2 Likes

Most Oracal films are vinyl (PVC containing). You may try their polyester films, the 351 line, there’s a gold but I don’t remember how satin it is.

3 Likes

Er, not sure about the word ‘Most’ in your post.
Please check my original post.
Regards
John
PS the word vinyl, often carelessly used, does not mean it’s polyvinylchloride, ie a molecule that contains chlorine.
Vinyl is an organic structure −CH=CH 2 that doesn’t contain it .

3 Likes

I know, I didn’t think it was worth repeating here :slight_smile:

I work extensively with large format graphics, Oracal and 3M are the two most common suppliers of single color adhesive films for graphics - we call it “sign vinyl” and more often just vinyl. I’m well acquainted with the Oracal catalog.

I read your original post, which is the only reason I replied - to attempt to offer a helpful answer. You noted you have tried 352 and 651. I suggested you look at 351.

1 Like

I guess you are consuming enough to buy in quantity directly from Orafol website.
Even there, there only seems to be one finish for the gold color, and they don’t describe it.
They do describe the chrome as either chrome or matte chrome, so I assume the gold to be mirror.
They also state that it is coated both sides, not what I’m looking for.
I use Amazon as my supplier, and it’s surprising how many of the 351 ads describe it as 'mirror’finish.
I hope this gives you some idea of how I have proceeded in my search.
Regards
John

1 Like