Google Drawing to Glow Forge

I am a classroom teacher and I am currently using Google Drawing. The kids export the design as a JPG and then I place it on the keychain designs. The quality loss seems really high unless I put it on a higher setting. The issues with this is its over 15 minutes per design to engrave. Is there a better cloud based program or something I am missing in the settings?

Thanks

Is the issue with the quality loss? Or the time it takes to engrave?

If you could share a sample JPG or two, that might help us understand what you’re up to and where it’s not working well.

1 Like

Here are two example I exported as a JPG. The quality seems really low unless I switch to the higher settings. I was hoping to avoid 15 minutes per project to laser.

I know this program isnt the best for this use. I am working on finding a solution within our school eco system of apps.

1 Like

Convert the drawings to vector files and you can use SCORE instead of ENGRAVE. That would save a ton of time I think.

2 Likes

I see.

I think @Tek104 's suggestion is the right one.

Google Drawing’s can be exported as Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG):

Here’s that one exported:
Untitled drawing

Which didn’t look quite perfect going into GFUI:

But if I choose Score should do exactly what I want, and cut very quickly.

Hope that helps! Let me know if you need some more help.

3 Likes

Hello @nmckenzie6, thank you for reaching out to us with your questions. For Google Drawing, I think the advice you received from @Tek104 and @jestelle is the best next step to try.

As for other programs you can use, we recommend Inkscape. It is a free, professional quality graphics editors. I’m not sure what grade level your students are, so it might be a bit heavy for them if they are younger, but you should check it out and see what you think.

You can find more information on Inkscape on our support page here: Introducing Inkscape – Glowforge.

Please let us know how it goes.

Hey @nmckenzie6, its been a couple of days since we heard from you, so I wanted to check in. Were you able to try the suggestions that Tek104 and jestelle provided. If so, could you please let us know how it turned out? Thank you!

It’s been a little while since I’ve seen any replies on this thread so I’m going to close it. If you still need help with this please either start a new thread or email support@glowforge.com.