Got Art? The Met offers Open Access to collections

As of [Tuesday (2/7/2017)], all images of public-domain works in The Met collection are available under Creative Commons Zero (CC0). So whether you’re an artist or a designer, an educator or a student, a professional or a hobbyist, you now have more than 375,000 images of artworks from our collection to use, share, and remix—without restriction.

48 Likes

Very cool. Thanks for sharing

3 Likes

Thank you so much for posting this resource!

3 Likes

this is super cool of them, regardless of how it’s used. love it.

6 Likes

Ooooooh! wheeeeeee! :relaxed:

2 Likes

Awesome! For the lazy, this link will take you directly to a search of the public domain works they have digitally cataloged.

13 Likes

Thank you for posting this.

1 Like

aaaand bookmarked! This is kinda exciting. Going to check it out tonight!

1 Like

A great source of inspiration! Bookmarked :grinning::+1:

1 Like

That is epic! Bookmarked.

I’m pretty close to the Met, and even closer to MOMA…

Dunno why I haven’t yet gone to look at this in person:

16 Likes

You have no idea how happy that find makes me. Bookmarked & excited at the possibilities.

4 Likes

I went past December to MOMA. Even when I’m not a fan of modern art, I admit that old painting are impressive.

5 Likes

Awesome! This is going to be a great resource!

3 Likes

Last spring, we were fortunate enough to visit the National Gallery of Art in DC. It was nothing less than thrilling to see works of art that before I had only seen in photos. I really didn’t know what I had been missing until it was right there in front of my own eyes.

6 Likes

We recently popped into Dallas for a gymnastics meet my daughter was participating in. If you are ever near there, the Dallas Museum of Art is free. You can pay to visit special exhibits as well, but we spent hours wandering without doing that.

For some reason, this piece amused me greatly:

https://www.dma.org/collection/artwork/cornelis-saftleven/college-animals

Note that these images ARE under more traditional copyright.

8 Likes

I can certainly understand your amusement. There’s a lot going on there in that fanciful gathering!

2 Likes

I work a block away from the DMA. It’s really nice to be able to pop over on my lunch break from time to time.

3 Likes

So many things to engrave.

1 Like

Wow! This is good to know - thanks so much for sharing. I used to get a lot of images from doverpictura (not free, but pretty inexpensive) but they closed down a couple of weeks ago. Good to have another resource.

1 Like

What? Nooooooo! :anguished:

1 Like