Gradient Engraving Basketweave Pattern

I think they’re still optimizing the higher LPIs.

4 Likes

Yes, I am so glad that Philip pointed me in the right direction. I was discourged. Stay tuned for the Celtic knot.

Same settings, two passes. The gradients were not as well defined in the design file. I just slapped them in. This is getting toward what I want to do with the knotwork.

53 Likes

This is all very cool. It blows my k40 out of the water to see this kind of stuff!

13 Likes

Wow. Seems like the black is much darker on this version, the other one had a deep engrave, but not the deep colouring. Perhaps this is the benefit of the two passes.

Really seeing the texture/depth and colouring working together - opens up some great possibilities.

How long did this take… looks like extended times if up at the 3 1/2 hours?

3 Likes

How could I knot like that!
I wonder what it would look like if you applied a dither to the grayscale. It might help even out the transition areas.

19 Likes

39 minutes for the knot. It’s 4x1.5". The hour long enrages were recipe cutting boards.

14 Likes

Is that due to the grain orientation?

2 Likes

These are fantastic! Thanks as always for sharing!

edz

6 Likes

Looks like you have your settings all locked down. Those look fantastic! :grin:

2 Likes

really hope they weren’t all that frustrating :wink:

8 Likes

Uh, holy crap that it amazing!!

I can defiantly see how proofgrade would be very important for this application.

9 Likes

Not quite sure. this is the first time I did an extended engrave at full lines per inch. Then it was only 10% power. Those were deepest and darkest when the gradient aligned with the direction of the raster movement. The engrave behaved totally different with the settings on the second try. Really have to credit @takitus for his tests here. Will do some more to see what happens.

12 Likes

That is so cool

2 Likes

Interesting.

I wonder if it may be best to use a more consistent material for initial testing of a new design technique so you can eliminate the material as a cause for what one might perceive as a problem. Then once it’s dialed in, work with other materials. NOTE: This is an incomplete thought. Not sure if it’s applicable IRL.

3 Likes

Wow these came out really nice, going to see a ton of gradient projects make their way to GF by the looks of this.

1 Like

That knotwork is AMAZING! I’m blown away and can’t wait to do some of my own!!!

1 Like

I’m going to try it on some Corian, which is pretty consistent. Not sure if I can find settings that will work the way I want, but at least I’ll give it a shot. Leather would be interesting too. It’s pretty tedious adjusting the linear gradients for each of the sections since I wanted it to have an organic look. Theoretically there are only a few tiles to the design and then you flip and mirror them. In practice I was doing some manual adjustment on the gradient nodes and I couldn’t get them to go around curves the way I wanted. That’s where the mesh gradient comes in, but I’m still trying to figure that out.

Here it is with the linear gradient nodes showing. It is a reflected gradient to it goes from black to white and then white to black, but the gradient is always tangential to the axis of the gradient line. Just figuring this out. I really need the gradient to fan out.

This is a radial gradient:

I think it is something like this that I need.

7 Likes

NICE and smooth.
Yeah, you might need that gradient mesh. Looks pretty cool.

2 Likes

You might also want to try using a MESH gradient, which will let you have more control over the slope of the gradient. It’s definitely trickier to manipulate – I had to spend about 30 minutes figuring out how it worked, having never used it before – but it might produce better surfaces that have more pronounced flats / curves in the engrave.

11 Likes

Really cool results!

Depth engraving UI is experimental at best - expect no or disappointing results until it’s ready.

8 Likes