Grandson Train Set on Glowforge

The end of another really fun project I just finished using my Glowforge. This is a train set for my grandson. The track, switches, engines, cars, and inlaid nameplate on the chest were all done using my Glowforge. Project took over 8 months and involved hundreds of cuts and hours of assembly. I designed each engine, car and track section using Inkscape. The engines were designed around the “Jupiter” and “#119” used at the Promontory summit golden spike Ceremony on May 10, 1869 culminating the completion of the first transcontinental Railroad in the United States. The train set is roughly based on an “O” gauge scale and is a hand push version using no motors or electricity. The Chest was designed using sketch up and built using traditional woodworking techniques. The chest has 3 trays for storage of the complete train set and a storage area holding a map to assemble the set along with two articles on the history of the transcontinental railroad. The track has switches that operate and all the cars and engines were hand painted. A really fun project.

Train pic 3
Train pic 4
train pic 5
train pic 6

Train pic 8
Train pic 9

101 Likes

Wow that is amazing! What a treasure for your grandson to hand down. The track is awesome but the engines and cars are truly a work of art! Thanks for sharing.

17 Likes

There you go, making Grandpas everywhere feel inadequate :laughing:
That is one beautiful project that you should be very proud of. When your grandson is an old man he’ll probably still cherish this gift.

18 Likes

Utterly amazing work!
I was worried the Gllowforge would be hard to use with a train set on it.

10 Likes

This project makes me happy. Love to see stuff like this. Thanks for the pics and write up. Just amazing.

11 Likes

Wow, just… WOW!

9 Likes

Outstanding! The details are fabulous, and adding the history to it makes it even more special. Your grandson must have been/will be thrilled! Thank you for sharing!

12 Likes

This is such an incredibly mind-boggling thing you have made. The entire train set itself as well as the chest to store it will be an amazing legacy for your grandson and all children who follow him in your family. What a lucky young man…and what a work of utter love. Thank you for sharing it all with us.

15 Likes

I really don’t have the words to express my appreciation for this work of love and art. I wonder what you will do for the next 5 grandchildren? :wink:

12 Likes

What lovely work. A true current and future Family heirloom for sure

10 Likes

A labor of love for sure. What an amazing project. Kudos to you!!

10 Likes

Amazing craftsmanship and what a perfect family heirloom for your grandson! I’m sure he will be very proud to hand it down to his children and grandchildren!!

9 Likes

An amazing project! What an incredible gift!

8 Likes

Well done. You solved one of the problems with projects like these with that storage box.

We had an elaborate Brio set for son one, that has eventually gotten handed down two generations now. The initial problem was the tracks etc were always underfoot (like shades of legos).
We ended up with a box for gizmos, but I mounted the tracks on a 3x6 chunk of wood that could be slipped behind the dresser when not in use.
I am convinced mounting those tracks are the only reason that set is still viable for the great grand kids.

You have definitely set the bar high with this project. Awesome work.

13 Likes

The train set is awesome, but the storage chest tops that. I’ll bet your grandson gets as much of a kick putting the train away–everything in its own slot–as he does taking it out.

8 Likes

That is just exquisite work. What an heirloom for sure!

10 Likes

What a spectacular job.

7 Likes

Now that’s dedication! Amazing work.

6 Likes

Wow, that must have taken a long time and certainly some excellent work here, I didn’t think you could do stuff like this on a GF , amazing !!

7 Likes

they each get a name plate for their doors. duh. :slight_smile:

6 Likes