Grants from Glowforge to fund your creativity at Maker Faire

NOW is the time to be learning. Trust me when I tell you that everything you don’t know will become a source of frustration when your :glowforge: arrives.
Be learning either Fusion 360 or OnShape if you plan to do 3d assembly and one of the 2d art programs.
There are lots of tutorials right here to get you started.

3 Likes

Have you any sketches or descriptions of what it is you want to propose? I may be able to help with the designs with the GF capabilities in mind.

2 Likes

I’ll send you something in a bit. I can describe it, but let me try to sketch it out.

1 Like

Thanks for that. Is there a good, free 2d program or should I just go with Illustrator? I know that is pretty much the standard for a lot of 2d things.

1 Like

I’m kinda the wrong person to ask on this because I am weak on 2d myself. Inkscape has the advantage of being free so that is a great place to start.

You can try both Corel Draw and Illustrator before you buy. I am trying to learn Corel Draw now but having as much problem as a lot of people have to learn Fusion 360 which I just took to.

I would definitely try Inkscape. It’s free and there are a lot of video tutorials available. There’s also the community tutorials here that cover several applications, both 2D and 3D.

5 Likes

Never needed to do anything Inkscape wouldn’t do easily. Yes, if someone else was paying for it Illustrator would be preferred, but Inkscape is much better than you would expect for free or even compared to an average 2D program.

6 Likes

Good advice, thanks! And to you @rhenley

I am one of the insanely lucky people with a Glowforge. I know time is ridiculously tight; but if you send me a PM we can discuss whether I can help by cutting any design you have.
I would love for you to get in.
I would like to help, if I can.

edit: I see that the offer has already been made, along with some other very good advice.
I really do hope you get in.

8 Likes

I have used Inkscape for almost all my designs. It has great basic features and many extensions that help you do cool things like tabbed boxes with dividers in them or circular/elliptical boxes. There are a few of us who use Inkscape on the forum and would be happy to help with a design. Let us know what you are interested in and we can assist. One way is just to start a new topic with a pencil sketch of what you want to accomplish and we can walk you through it.

3 Likes

Wow! Thank you! I will keep you posted. Right now, I’m working with @jamesdhatch via email to get something cut so I can show a photo of a prototype. Just so everyone knows why it is not posted here.

1 Like

Fantastic to know! Thanks for the offer and for the information about Inkscape! I might still start a new topic so it can be worked through and discussed more and so I can learn, but @jamesdhatch is designing something based on a sketch I sent him.

2 Likes

Ditto. I’m also willing to help with cutting for folks who are exhibiting @ MF but do not yet have a :glowforge:! Will add the caveat that I’m glad to do this within reason as long as you supply the file + materials - if several people hit me up, I may need to turn some away. Or, perhaps we can create a list of folks who are willing to help with cutting and/or design work?

Also, I’d love to see more community/maker groups thinking about this grant. For example, a Maker Space could apply to exhibit and tell people about what their org is up to. If accepted by MF, they could apply for the GF grant and then showcase ideas that they came up with/what their community learned and made in 1 month with a GF.

Levitada is another example of the kind of org/project that I think would be a great fit for this grant (cough, cough @cynzu). The site is all about connecting makers and sharing resources, and it was inspired in part by this forum!

If you’re a small/creative business owner, why can’t you apply to MF with what you’re already making ? If you don’t get the GF grant, you can reevaluate whether or not to exhibit there; if you DO get the GF grant, you can demonstrate how the use of this new tool will improve your workflow or enable you to expand your skills.

4 Likes

Well, in that case, dibs on your help! ha. Thank you for your kindness.

1 Like

Thanks - you’ve been so generous on Levitada! Sadly, that is a project that I’ve neglected (and feel very sad about that) over the last couple of months as I’ve been dealing with repetitive-stress-pain issues in my arms and hands. I’m typing (using computers at all) as little as possible outside of the workday.

Good luck to all at Maker Faire! I look forward to your postings.

1 Like

Nah, don’t feel bad about it. Take care of your health first. Was hoping you were seeing some improvement, at very least, kudos for making lifestyle changes to help with the healing process.

2 Likes

Yep. We exhibited 4 times in Austin with our kids, doing lincoln log catapults, erosion tables and recycled bottle flowers. They really are more interested in creative and DIY projects then enormously finished projects.

6 Likes

welp, application to Maker Faire submitted, let’s see if I get accepted…

15 Likes

What a kind offer! I have contacted a local college that has a laser to see if they will let me cut some of my designs, but I haven’t heard back yet. I hope to get to do it my self, but it is good to know there are nice Glow folks willing to help others!

1 Like

What a great way to take over the making world! We’ve done the Bay Area Faire, with travel costs being prohibitive I’ve never considered going so far from home. DARNIT wish we’d have gotten our GF already so we could do this, I’ve never been to the east coast.

1 Like