Grants from Glowforge to fund your creativity at Maker Faire

I would love to be a part of this, however being in the upper Midwest, I think it’s a bit out of reach. Driving to new York with glowfirge in the back may be realistic, if not for the 1000-some mile journey. I don’t dare trust it with Delta airlines, if they’d even allow something that size. Is there ever a maker fair: Minneapolis or Des Moines?

1 Like

Detroit might be closer to you. Surely there’s something in Chicago, even?

Woohoo! Hope you get in!

4 Likes

Oh, he’ll get in…I’ve seen his stuff. :wink:

5 Likes

Minneapolis does have a Maker Fair but ive never been to one.

Whoops! I will fix that.

1 Like

Might tweak this a bit too? Not a huge deal, but having “the second” in there twice may be a little redundant:

Is this only for the Big Fairs, not any of the regional ones? (I’ve been thinking about trucking over the local one this fall, but filtering could be an issue.)

1 Like

Im in.
Im excited to apply.

6 Likes

There is a mini-Maker Faire in the Twin Cities, but I think it was in June.

Im not seeing a “show and tell” option in the Maker Faire form. I am assuming “maker exhibition” is the correct choice… Just want to be in the right

1 Like

This is only for 2017 New York Maker Faire. We haven’t made any plans to do it again at this time.

1 Like

Hm, I’m not sure. @bailey?

That should be right, yes! I think they call it different things in a few different places.

3 Likes

While I appreciate the sentiment to include those without glowforges, it’s not really feasible or reasonable (unless you maybe already own a different laser, which some here definitely do).

I understand the effort to make it inclusive - loaning a glowforge for a monthish prior - but I can definitely understand the frustration of those who would like to participate, but who a) don’t currently have a laser project because no laser and b) wouldn’t stand a chance of getting accepted into the maker faire with a rough prototype (as good as can be pulled together in a week) or explanation of their plans. That’s fine, I assume it was a pretty last minute idea given the short timing.

But it’s ultimately an opportunity for people who have a laser, or access to one, glowforge or otherwise. Cool for them, just kind of hard to be excited about, honestly. I’m probably not the only one who no longer finds the projects of others who’ve already received a laser posted here exciting or motivating; At this point I find it pretty demoralizing. Not the fault of those who have one and share - I’m glad they’re enjoying it and making awesome things. But I’m not at all surprised that some of us are over it.

I hope whoever can participate takes advantage and has a great time. I guess the rest of us can just hope for a repeat program in 2018 when it would really be feasible.

5 Likes

Why place the artificial limits? In other words, don’t talk yourself out of the experience. Give it a shot and let somebody else tell you no.

If you have any kind of crafting that could eventually benefit from using a laser why not go for it? Take your stuff if you get a table, put in for the grant and if you’re awarded you could work in some customization and experimentation while you’re displaying your wares.

At the worst, you can demo the laser showing how you intend to incorporate it into your craft / art / whatever. Or you can just play. Your table, your show, your rules at that point.

If you are wanting to display at the MF anyway, why not give it a go?

11 Likes

plus they’re willing to loan you a glowforge for a month prior to going to the maker faire so you can practice, learn, create before going. if that’s not really enough time to get yourself up to speed, not to sound harsh, but you’re probably not the best candidate to represent GF at the maker faire.

5 Likes

Let’s put this plainly: if you are creative and have a demonstrated skill at making something dazzling from scratch in hours instead of weeks or months (aka “on the fly”), Glowforge wants you to demonstrate it in front of the crowds of people at Makerfaire. In exchange they’ll help get you up to speed and pay for things.

If you only have ideas in your head and your imagination, this isn’t the thing for you. If you went to University and had to struggle holding down part time jobs to pay for tuition, resenting people who sought scholarships as “having it easy”, this isn’t the application for you. If you want it bad enough, demonstrate you’re worth them laying out the cash to sponsor you.

10 Likes

All of this.

Last weekend @PrintToLaser was kind enough to allow my wife and I to come up and look/learn/play with his pre release. We were there for a little over 3 hours. Before I left, I was tossing the files I had ready in the GFUI, and manipulating as needed. It really is just that easy to pick up.
3 months ago I had ZERO experience in making files to use, no graphics skills to speak of, heck, I didn’t even have the programs to do it it. A couple months ago I decided it was time I learn as it appeared delivery was at hand. I took some online classes (Lynda.com is a wonderful resource), and while I am no wiz yet, I am quite happy with where my skills are today and what I want to do when I get my unit.

Your only limit is what you are willing to put into it. If I was closer, I’d do this in a heartbeat.

14 Likes

Can I ask a clarification question? @bailey

I understand, and several others, I think, that you’ll loan a Glowforge prior to the event, and that you’ll help us get to the event [if selected.] All that is clear.

Clarify this:
Will you also bring a Glowforge to the event for the lucky grant winners to use? (as was done in Bay Area) OR should the lucky grant winners be planning to box up and ship a Glowforge to and from New York?

Thanks a lot.

10 Likes