Great deal on 2 ply Engraving Acrylic

I threw an order in as well for some sheets, and got a call from a very friendly Kelly at BF plastics. Apparently a few of the items I ordered were already out of stock by the time the went to pull them. When I asked if I could just exchange them for different colors of the same stock she saidof course and “By chance did you come form the Glowforge forum?” when I said yes she mentioned we have piled on quite the number of orders of assorted quarter sheets since last night :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Yeah, Kelly called me as well. Three of the items I ordered were also out of stock.

1 Like

Yep, she asked my what’s going on and gave her some background on the glowforge and sent her a link to the GF website. :smile:
I just picked up a random sample as I don’t have clear plans for these, but for this price, got to graphics some material.

1 Like

Sorry guys, I probably depleted their stock. I don’t have major plans for any of what I ordered, but got caught up in the “Oooh, pretty - and cheap”. I will have to begin to get serious and make some stuff out of it though.

[quote=“bill_laba, post:24, topic:9120”]
Sorry guys, I probably depleted their stock. I
[/quote] You hoarder!

Kelly got tired of calling people and emailed to let me know that 3 of the pieces I ordered were out of stock.So I will just have to do with the 20 pieces they did have (Yes I know I have a problem)

2 Likes

That’s me! Way too much cardstock and sign vinyl and heat transfer vinyl. . . . . .

Whee! Just a little order for me, and only one thing out of stock. Can’t wait to have real uses for some of this.

Should have ordered last night, I guess! I just ordered a bunch though. We’ll see what happens!

Ha Ha,
I just called them to kiddingly apologize for the run on the garage sale stuff. Talked to Jan, as Kelly was busy, but they did say they were happy to clear out the garage and were sorry that the website was not quite keeping up with sales.

I spent some time on the table saw today cutting the thicker stuff down to 20". A lot of the thin stuff scored and snapped cleanly. Now I have lots of little 4x12" practice/small item pieces.

2 Likes

I must have been lucky to want stuff that really was off the beaten path as I am apparently getting everything I ordered this morning

2 Likes

Same here. Got my shipping notice without any bad news from Kelly.

1 Like

I like the idea of being able to use the offcut to do my testing without impinging on a fullsize piece, just in case.

1 Like

Hm, just got a ups notice that they couldn’t deliver due to signature required and that I can pick it up at the local ups store…that’s a first…and sucks to have to sign for a 60 bucks delivery…

1 Like

I’m part of the “13th club” that received the awesome email that we can have our GF, but we’re now going on week 4 waiting for the actual shipping notice. The one good thing about the extended shipping has been my husband’s misconception about all the laser material that’s being delivered. This BF Plastics order came today and hubby said, “Wow, that company (GF) sure feels guilty about the delays and are sending lots of freebies. That’s really cool” I almost felt kind guilty not correcting him. Better just to let him think I didn’t pay for more laser stuff. Shhh, no one tell him. :rofl:

Thanks for the awesome link to the garage sale @bill_laba!

15 Likes

What settings are you guys using for the 2 ply acrylic? I received my order from BF Plastics several days ago but haven’t had a chance to test it. Also, what’s the best way to cut the acrylic into pieces small enough for the Glowforge?

Here’s what I used on the engraves and cuts below. First off, I’ve had some error issues when trying to focus on very thin material. I’ve often had to raise paper and thin material off the bed with sacrificial material to avoid errors. In this case, the material was pretty forgiving regarding thickness settings. I just placed it on the bed and put in the Medium Acrylic preset. It was also not too particular about power settings. I got OK results using power anywhere from 4% to 25%. The higher the power, the deeper the engrave. The bigger logo was at 25% and the smaller one was at 10%. Speed for the engrave was 100 and LPI was at 225. Cuts were done at 100% power and 75 speed.

They actually look better than this poorly lit photo.

You HAVE to remove the plastic masking, or it will be a mess. I did not add any masking when cutting these. I’ve had great results cleaning them up with just plain old Isopropyl Alcohol (91%). It takes any char and stickiness off of them very easily. Of course, you should check how it reacts on the scrap first. It’s not likely that it would cause issues, but who knows how it could affect the finish of some of the colors and brands of this material.

By the way, this was just done with a quick copy paper print and bed scan, so the outside cut edges are a little rough. More diligent image prep with raster engraves and vector edges would produce a smoother edge. These were just some test items to see how different settings worked.

Almost forgot about the cutting down to size. For the thin material, it took a score and snap really well. A couple of good cuts with a razor knife and then snapping it off on the edge of the table produced some pretty smooth breaks. The remainder of the material is good for testing and small items like these.

17 Likes

That turned out very nicely! :grinning:

Looks great! Thanks for the info!

1 Like

I’ve been having fun with scan and engrave too. I’m quite impressed

Just as a note, take photos on the crumb tray of your glowforge - the lighting is excellent in there :slight_smile:

2 Likes