Greyscale greatness

This is amazing! 3D engraves are one of my favorite underutilized features.

3 Likes

Wow they look very 3D! I did this with variable power and it looks very similar

6 Likes

I have discovered that increasing the volume of air moving through has the smoke hanging around a lot less and thus causes less build up than without the help. Different species have different amounts of course, with oak being bad and walnut or maple a lot less.

2 Likes

Those are very cool. Inspiring!

1 Like

You call these tests - I call these great examples of 3D engraving!

5 Likes

This might tickle your fancy then lol. engraved both sides and made a quick cut file in inkscape to knock the flashing off between the 2 halves.

14 Likes

tutorial me pleeeeease. I’ve never had success with this.

1 Like

Is there a tutorial on using grey scale and/or variable power?

1 Like

The 3D setting is kind of plug and play once you have the art right (like everything else :glowforge:!)
Here’s a great write-up on how to conceptualize the art: Tutorial: 3D Engraving Depth Map Concept, using 2D Design Software

and this post: Anyone know anything about 3d engraving files? links to a Photoshop how-to, and 2 posts down from that links to another site with a guide…

Good luck!

8 Likes

Just to give you a visual, here’s a rabbit hole of greyscale images that work with 3D engraving. :slight_smile:

https://bit.ly/2kq84hP

5 Likes

Awesome link, thank you.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for sharing. Really nice work.

2 Likes

I love you and hate you a little bit right now - there’s dozens of those I want to try!

4 Likes

Aww, love and hate you too man. I have dozens of “I’m bored and want to engrave something cool” tiles laying around, now you will too. You’re welcome. :rofl:

4 Likes

Neat! Yes, I’ve used electron microscope images before (my draftboard ukulele’s label: it was a flea) and they really lend themselves to laser engraving.

3 Likes

Beautiful work!! Did you use any masking paper?

1 Like

No didnt use any masking paper as i find you tend to lose some of the details on the lower end

Really amazing!!

Would you mind sharing your settings?

For the settings i used the engrave test i posted on free designes to find the max depth i wanted for the engrave

but most were speed 1000/power full/pattern density lrv at 0 urv at 100/ 450 lpi/ and the convert to dots setting

1 Like

That’s a great link. Thanks.

I am printing one now and it is coming out great. I just have to figure out how to clean up the charcoal darkness of the wood.

Regards.

2 Likes