Attached is a ‘laser guide’ that helps me align objects for engraving. It’s an approach others have described, and I hope that sharing my example is helpful.
To make the guide, load the attached SVG and configure the outline to ‘cut’. This forum software does odd things to SVGs, but it should still work. It’s 10 in wide x 2 in tall (outside). If your crumb tray is a different height than mine, you might need to scale this slightly.
And a photo of it in action.
- Crumple up tinfoil (or plasticine would work),
- put object to engrave on top with flattest part up.
- Press the ‘laser guide’ down until the feet touch on both ends, repeatedly across the object until it’s level.
- Engrave with ‘material thickness’ 0.01 in.
- Fluff up aluminum foil and repeat until all your things are engraved.
Note: this one is scaled to the height of my crumb tray exactly. If you prefer, you could make it up to 0.4 in above the crumb tray, but matching the crumb tray exactly was easiest.