Had a fire! : A reminder about safety

After a few weeks of cutting the same file out of the same paper there was a fire and Glowforge Pro is damaged. Fortunately it was put out quickly and damage level doesn’t seem irrecoverable. When powered up the lights go on and at least two fan runs. The main button is lit orange.

Damage due to fire includes: melted belt, melted belt guide wheels, melted drive belt stepper motor housing, melted plastic on camera housing, various other meltings.

Laser tube and head look ok.

I’m looking forward to hearing from the Glowforge folks to see if the unit is repairable. But just a friendly reminder:

Doing the same thing many, many times without incident does not ensure a trouble-free future! Never be complacent about the potential risk! Always watch the laser and have fire suppression tools at hand.

12 Likes

I’m so sorry to hear about the damage to your Glowforge.

I’ll need to evaluate the damage to see if repair may be possible. Please inspect the inside of your Glowforge and send me close up photos of any parts that were damaged in the incident. I recommend you specifically check the following:

• front door
  • lid camera
  • LEDs on the lid
  • crumb tray
  • laser arm
  • belts (on the rails underneath the laser arm)
  • the underside of the printer head
  • carriage plate (metal plate the printer head sits on)

Thank you so much for your help. We hope to get you back up and running as soon as possible.

Best wishes,

1 Like

I’m so sorry to hear about your GF, but it is a really important reminder. Thanks for sharing it.

1 Like

Hi Jeremy. Thanks for the speedy response. Here are the pics. Let me know if I can provide additional images. Hoping there’s some good news in there!

Printer head.

1 Like

Thank you for providing all those detailed photos. I’ve just sent you an email with the next steps to determine the best way to get you back up and printing.

I’ll continue to work on this with you there, so this post will be closed.