Hand Fan Help!

Glad you got there, and yeah, it took me over 30 years to discover that you can’t make a living as a fan maker.
But, a man’s got to do,…
Hope to start again in Corinth next year, with my first US exhibition, but this time with Glowfinger to help !
:upside_down_face:

4 Likes

I call the bits chaff, but my youngest daughter calls them “coagulets”. We don’t know why.

3 Likes

Much more interesting than ‘scabs’ !

Present it laying over red tissue, if you can get some in time !

1 Like

The presidential race in 2000 gave us the name. CHAD

A “chad” is the fragment left over when you punch a hole in a material.
All the controversy was over ‘hanging chads’ much like we get when the force is not with us.

A counter-intuitive bit of history - if the holes were punched clean in paper teletype rolls, that was ‘chadded’, but if the paper still had the chads hanging(by design) that was ‘chadless’ tape.
Less mess to clean up and the chads didn’t get into the tape readers.

1 Like

Maybe a product of the same DNA strand that led to my oldest / her cousin naming his pet snake “Monkey.” :thinking:

3 Likes

I actually like “coagulets”. Plan to adopt it for daily use IRL. :smile:

4 Likes

As Jules stated, I too love threads like this - don’t know if I’d ever make a fan but it’s fun to learn something new.

I know it’s solved, but when I saw the original problem, my first thought was whether you could have slots or grooves on the back side of each blade, with a mating pin coming from the next blade over. Thoughts?

Oh my, that question takes me back about 25 years, and the answer is yes, you can !

I was commissioned by one of the Livery Companies to create a fan for the wife of the then Master of the Company (yes, they are titled the “Mistress”).
As she was a highly qualified engineer, I offered as a throwaway line " I could even make it from carbon fibre and titanium, if you wish".
And yes, she went with it.
I devised the slot and pin method that I used, as no traditional method seemed appropriate - thread or ribbon.
Apart from the problem of fixing the pin normal to the surface of 0.25mm carbon fibre sticks, there is another problem - interference of the head of the pin with the pin of the one above it. Each stick has a curving slot, and a pin at the right hand end of the slot. in the solid material, but displaced below by a little more than the width of the slot.
Alternate sticks have ‘high’ slot, or a ‘low’ slot, and this allows the fan to fully close.

At least, I think that’s how I did it !
If I can find a photograph, I’ll post it.
John :upside_down_face:

5 Likes

Awesome.

Did you make the blades or use existing material? I’ve done a lot of composite work (radio control - hobby) and would probably use something shaped like the ball side of a snap fastener embedded between layers… :slight_smile:

Think what you could do with today’s pre-preg colored weaves!

I used pre-preg carbon fibre. I had a friend who worked at Lotus Cars in the old days, so got useful off-cuts.
I’m afraid your snap fasteners are an order of magnitude too thick., and there can’t be anything protruding underneath each stick (not blade !)
Each stick had the top 1" pierced in a fish scale design with an ‘S’ incorporated - her initial.
Cutting 3mm thick titanium, for the guard sticks, to shape by hand was no joke, either, but the final finish, with electro-colouring looked good.
I fear any photos I have are already in Corinth, so no access for a couple of months.

“shaped like”, but custom-made to size from Ti… :wink:

I just need to read more carefully !

Just found the photos, and posted them on the Harry Potter Wand thread.
Not sure how to add a link.
Lets try this
https://community.glowforge.com/t/harry-potter-wand-box/25985/10

Gosh that was easy !

2 Likes

Wow… beautiful!

Woa! THAT is amazing! I’d love to see a close up of the pins in that to see it working. Just stnning work though @johnbrooker

I’m afraid that’s not possible !
The pins are hidden down near the pivot, and I’ve no idea where the fan is currently.
I believe the owner divorced, and subsequently remarried. I hope she took the fan with her !

1 Like

For anyone who stumbles across this thread in the future. I found this video- it’s not in English but it’s really helpful!
【滴胶】樱花扇(穿线教程在这里)_哔哩哔哩_bilibili Start around 2 mins!

1 Like

Welcome to the forum.

2 Likes