Harry Potter Wand Box

I think she has at least six wands…she worked at Harry Potter World in LA for about a year and a half :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Absolutely beautiful

2 Likes

This is beautiful! Love the added music box and finger pull

2 Likes

Wonderful! the finger pull has been put in my book of useful design touches. Thanks!

2 Likes

Wait wait wait… That’s nothing new. My uncle used to use that “pull my finger” thing all the time. :wink:

6 Likes

My own take on the ‘finger pull’ would be to cut out the D-shape, glue it back at an angle, then sand off the back flush with lid.
It’s a technique I have often used to give the appearance of a carved design, starting lower than the surface at one end, then rising above the surface at the other.
If I could only find the photo of the fan I mentioned in another posting, I’d post it !:thinking:
John :upside_down_face:

5 Likes

I think I understand what you’re saying. And that sounds like it would look great. Do you have a pic of an example?

Still looking for them !
:upside_down_face:

Found them

The box is wood, with the ‘feather’ showing the technique I was referring to, and the fan is carbon fibre with titanium guards.
I made this about 25 years ago, and it’s taken me a little while to work out how the sticks rotation is limited, as I can’t see any ribbon or thread !
The answer is hidden down in the pivot .
My own solution.
:upside_down_face:

24 Likes

Oh, wow. That really is something!

1 Like

Wow! There aren’t enough hearts for me to click on this one!

2 Likes

Looks really nice! Will be an awesome gift!

1 Like

What a lovely wand box! The addition of the music box just makes it. She will be thrilled!

And John, that is one gorgeous fan!

1 Like

Great job on this!

1 Like

How did you make the finger pull? I definitely need to get better at illustrator. My wife would love this!

I will try to write up some instructions for the pull after I return from LA.

2 Likes

I’m just nosy and want to know how she reacted. lol

She loved it :slight_smile: She actually had to wipe her eyes several times, so I think it was a success. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I put together the tutorial for the circle pull. Hope this helps!

edz

Steps for creating finger pull with a gradient using Photoshop.pdf (340.5 KB)

7 Likes

Just realized that I replied to my own post so you weren’t notified that I added the tutorial for the finger pull.

edz

Thanks so much for the tutorial!