Hand Loom

Hi folks,

I saw a cool hand loom online, but they only sold kits, not designs. So I worked out a similar design and put it up for free at https://svg-loom.glitch.me/. You can customize the text, and it’s mostly parameterized so if there is interest I can make it do custom sizes. You will have to run it through Inkscape or Illustrator to convert the text to paths. I can fit seven of them on a sheet in my Glowforge.

I’m working on a howto, but here is a view of a finished example. The final piece can be removed by taking the loops off the top and bottom, or the centre piece that punches out can be inserted in the slot to make a stand.

45 Likes

@kelley1 will like this.

13 Likes

How kind of you to share your flat-pack loom—thanks!

12 Likes

Thanks! Glad you like it. I kept tiny connnections between the pieces so it stays flat until you’re ready to separate them.

11 Likes

Very nice

10 Likes

their last post was 5 years ago.

Welcome back! we would love to to see what else you might have been making.
:grin:

11 Likes

Thanks so much. Don’t stay away another 5 years.

11 Likes

Thank you!

11 Likes

Thank you for sharing.

8 Likes

This is amazing. Thank you for sharing!

8 Likes

Very cool! I will have to resist getting into another distraction, and enjoy this hobby vicariously.

8 Likes

For those who don’t want to cut their own, or just want to support a small business you can order them from the original source.

13 Likes

Thank you, I was trying to remember where I got the inspiration for this from.

4 Likes

Yes!

@dethe thanks for the design. This is a great tool for making small samples of handspun yarn, to see how the strands will work together in the final piece.

3 Likes

Thanks so much for sharing! I just downloaded the svg and am going to make these for my Maker Club students so they can do a weaving and keep their own loom. Very nice!

4 Likes

Thank you so much. I will make it as a stocking stuffer for my daughter. She is going to love it!

1 Like

Oh, that sounds like a very cool project!

Sharing these around the library where I worked, I was suprised how many people had no idea how weaving worked. I thought the basics were common knowledge, but it was super fun to help people discover it.

2 Likes

I’m so glad!

I actually have been using my GlowForge very little the past few years. I made a few (very few) things from downloaded files, and a custom DM screen for a friend who plays D&D. But I’m trying to use it more now, and making it available to my friends, so should be able to post new projects soon. Thanks for your interest!

1 Like