Happy New Year! Jac is back!

Hi everyone! After a long hiatus due to general upheaval and unmentionable terrors I finally have my shops set up again!

Miss me? … Remember me? … anyone? :pleading_face: Whatever, I’ll start fresh.

I’m an early adopter Forger that once upon a time spent a lot of cycles here on the Forum. Super excited to get back to projects, to reconnect with old friends, and hopefully to make some new ones.

Literally just flipped the UrForge back on a few hours ago after months and wanted to make anything so did some quick design and fab on two things that I’ve been thinking about.

First, I was doodling a logo for my nonexistent maker-business the other day and did a quick version on baltic birch.

Nothing impressive from a lasering point if view; I just needed to start burning stuff. But I like how it looks! Much better than the version I scrawled on a post-it note. Inkscape skills aren’t entirely gone. Anyone know how to register a trademark?

After that I wanted to try an idea that came up while my electrician and I wrestled with the rats-nest of wires here at the house (previous owners/electricians were psychotic). While he assured my house doesn’t burn down, I was trying to trace TV cable lines to see what was working and what wasn’t. After figuring it out, I wanted to label them, knowing I’d forget it all if I didn’t. Using that as a VERY thin excuse, I made up little acrylic labels that I can zip-tie to the cables.

Again, super-simple but an easy first day project.

That done, I think I have some catch-up reading to do to see what you all have been up to. I’m looking forward to it. Hope everyone is having a great start to 2020!

Jac

53 Likes

welcome back!

6 Likes

Glad to see you back. I think you will notice some software improvements (engrave speeds and clean corners) to name two, and quite a few new faces.

6 Likes

Welcome back, and I do like that sign. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Very cool sign! Welcome back! :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Hey Jac! Welcome back!
You want to run the Camera Calibration, Major improvement in visual placement. Also, there is a new tool - Set Focus on the tool bar under the gear icon. Use that instead of setting material thickness, I haven’t touched my calipers in months.

Get after it man, good to see you again!

7 Likes

Glad to have you back—you’ve got a lot of catching up to do!

5 Likes

Great logo design!

4 Likes

Welcome back :partying_face:

Yes, there are a huge number of improvements. Top engraving speed is now 4000 from 1000 and you will want to read up on all the special thinking needed there too.

5 Likes

Of course we remember Urjac, how would we forget! Welcome back, nice to see yo forging again. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Welcome back.

The logo is great except the “A” crossbar not being on the center line is agitating me. :wink:

2 Likes

Glad you’re up and running again!

4 Likes

I do remember you, and am glad you are up and running again. Love the new logo, and the cable labels are a genius idea!

5 Likes

It would look wrong because all the other letter lines are inside the artistic scores. The lack of consistency would cause agitation if he moved it up :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Welcome back!

3 Likes

Welcome back! I certainly remember you. LOVE the very modern, rather art deco logo!

2 Likes

Modern look to your logo, looks good. Welcome back!

2 Likes

Actually while I was off the edge of the world I did see some progress reports on those. Very cool!

I have a puzzle is did a while back that got some real corner scorches; I think I’ll try that one again for a before/after with the clean corners…

1 Like

Thank you!! :grin:

Interestingly: last summer (-ish? Whenever it was first available) I was trying to use Camera Calibration and its uncovered a unsolvable problem that required a full machine swap-out! When I tried those little start-up projects yesterday the calibration was still great. Maybe just a hair off on the left; so I’ll maybe try the calibration this coming weekend.
Set Focus was released just before I disappeared and I’m a huge fan. So helpful.

Great to see you too!

3 Likes

It’s that good kind of homework! :laughing:

2 Likes