Attached is the files to make the frames and individual storage bins. The frames were made from 1/4" Baltic birch plywood, and the individual bins/drawers were made from 1/8" Baltic birch plywood. I have the sides and bottoms of the drawers in one file (three sets per sheet) and the fronts and backs in a separate file (18 sets, but if you flip the used sheet around, you can get three more from the “margin” that was at the top of the sheet. I added text to the fronts to label what is in the bin/drawer. Each frame holds 20 bins/drawers. Three frames will fit across a 48 inch shelving unit with enough room that the bins/drawers are not blocked by the frame of the shelving unit. It takes 9 sheets of 1/4" plywood to make one frame, and 8 sheets of 1/8" plywood to make 21 complete bins/drawers. Parts Storage Bins.zip (15.0 KB)
Yes, they are all glued in. With all of those finger tabs, and using unfinished wood, there is a lot of surface area for the glue to hold. If done properly with a good wood glue, the glued joints are stronger than the wood itself. I used Gorilla wood glue, but Titebond II, Titebond lIII, or Elmer’s wood glue would work just as well as long as the wood is unfinished. If the wood is prefinished, sand the finish off the tabs. I use a rotary tool for that when I use PG wood.
great idea and thanks for the svg files. but. since I did this same sort of design, I ran the in’s and out’s of the cuts together into one path for cutting where possible to minimize the amount of cutting the laser has to do. see the attached edited file!
I have been crafting out of a spare room in my home for about 5yrs. My Mom, Dad & husband just finished helping me build my very own business workshop. I’m always making projects that my mom wants. But my dad never asks for anything. As soon as I saw your project, I knew this would be great for him. Thank you for sharing your ideas and talents.
That Little Something