Hardware Storage Bins

I got tired of not finding the screw or nail size I wanted while having two boxes of sizes that I did not need at the time. I was going for the old-fashioned hardware store look with these storage bins. Eventually, I will have three units of 20 bins each across one 48" shelf, but I ran out of wood :wink: The bins are clearly labeled (and there is no need to point out that I put ā€œcourseā€ instead of ā€œcoarseā€ on two of them) so I know what I have on hand and know where to find them before I start a project.

77 Likes

Nice job!

2 Likes

Excellent practical cut.

5 Likes

Love it! Nice way to keep things organized.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s beautiful - no seriously. Organization is a thing of beauty!

5 Likes

Great Build! I do love organization!

5 Likes

I love this! And you must do a LOT of projects as thatā€™s a LOT of screws!

4 Likes

Awesome, i love organizationā€¦and miniatures:-)

3 Likes

That was a real labor of love. It looks great and you will be asking yourself why you took so long to put your screws in an easy to find place.

3 Likes

What can I say? I love to screw :wink:

2 Likes

OH MY Goodness! This much organization is amazing, but it also makes me break out in hives!

4 Likes

Brilliant! And you can take only the one drawer you need to where you need it instead of spilling the whole box of assorted items all over the floorā€¦ <donā€™t ask me why I would think of thatā€¦>
Can you say what the dimensions of your drawers are and do you like the size?

6 Likes

I love this but more importantly if my Grandad were still with us he would love it more and be completely wowed by it. He was a sewing machine mechanic and had loads of tiny screws and parts, he had them all neatly organized in his garage. He taught all of his Grandkids how to strip a sewing machine down and put it back together. :heart:

6 Likes

The outside dimensions of the drawers are 40 x 84 x 273 mm. I made them this size primarily because it would allow me to use as much depth as I could and fit three sets of sides and bottoms on one sheet of plywood. I can fit 18 sets of fronts and backs on a sheet, then turn it around and get three more sets out of the ā€œmarginā€ that was at the top of the original cut area. It takes 8 sheets to get 21 complete drawers. The size is a good compromise in terms of lack of waste and usefulness. Obviously, for some things like 18 g x 3/4" brads, the drawer is larger than I needed, but I did not want to go to the trouble of having multiple size drawers. I could have put dividers in some of the drawers, but that would have added a new layer of complexity to the labels, so I chose to keep things as simple and uniform as possible.

My shelf is 48" wide , 24" deep, and about 11 3/4" to the next shelf. The frames are 15" wide, 9 1/2" high, and 10 3/4" deep. That lets me cut two sides or two of the vertical dividers from one sheet of plywood. The tops, bottoms, backs, and horizontal dividers take one sheet each, so it takes 9 1/2 sheets per frame. Three frames with 20 drawers each will fit between the upright supports on my shelving unit.

6 Likes

I stripped the screw on the side of my honeycomb tray. Do you have one? I will purchase it.

1 Like

That is so coolā€¦just ordered my glowforge canā€™t wait to get it and start creating things!

5 Likes

Welcome! :sunglasses:
You are in for a treat. :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Super nice! Great job!

3 Likes

Welcome to the GF family! Youā€™re gonna love it! Be sure to take advantage of the ā€œfree designsā€ (personal/gift use only - you canā€™t sell these items), and especially the ā€œSearchā€ function, where you can find the answer to almost any question or problem you have, such as different settings people use on different materials, how-tos, etc. This is one of the friendliest, most helpful groups you will ever be part of. Canā€™t wait to see what you do with your new Glowforge!

4 Likes

The hubby needs one of these!

3 Likes