Harry Potter Monopoly (picture heavy)

I can’t even…I just purchased my GlowForge Pro…like ten minutes ago…and I am so stupid stinking excited to get it and start making amazing things like I’ve seen so far! This is simply beautiful and pure perfection!!

6 Likes

Whoa, slow down let us catch up. Just kidding this is a great way to inspire others.

Please please Keep Creating.

3 Likes

Unless you are already familiar with a vector editor and a raster editor I would highly recommend that you start learning them now before your Glowforge arrives. I have Inkscape for vectors and Gimp for rasters. They are both free to acquire and are as powerful as those you can pay a lot of money for. Any will cost you plenty of time and effort to learn and don’t need a Glowforge in place to do so. There will be more to learn when it arrives but that is about operating the Glowforge and you will have those ready to start with.

5 Likes

Thank you so much! I’ve actually dabbled a bit (I’ve always wanted to say that!:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:) in the Adobe programs but will definitely use this time to refamiliarize myself with them.

1 Like

That is so beautiful :heart:

2 Likes

Me again! I’ve been watching some tutorials and honing my skills. Is there anyone here who would be willing to test my files? Or, do I just need to wait until I get my machine to test them out?

Thanks!!

That is of course the ultimate test, however, each thing you create in Inkscape or Gimp can be checked out in Inkscape. Making vectors in Gimp has one drawback that shows up more often is finding a tiny spot and drawing a tiny triangle where it is. It often takes quite a bit of work before pulling paths, and/or even finding them in the path dialogs.

By zooming in quite small they can most easily be fixed in the Inkscape node editor (usually by deletion)

2 Likes

I made my first file…I think!

Mm Key01 - Inkspace the Inkscape Gallery | Inkscape

2 Likes

Absolutely amazing. By chance what type of wood and thickness did you use? Is it proofgrade or purchased from somewhere else? I ask because it looks thicker then proofgrade and I’m always looking for a wood supplier.

no PG, it’s a mix of 1/4" walnut hardwood (purchased from ocooch hardwoods) and 1/4" and 1/8" baltic birch (that was painted or stained).

i rarely use PG wood. the hardwood pieces are generally too small (only 6x12 or 8x36) and i prefer an oil or wax finish to the PG hard finish. ocooch you can often get 10-12" wide pieces of hardwood.

2 Likes

Thanks for the lead. I was making some jewelry boxes for family as Christmas presents and my GF went dead. The laser tube quit working. I am currently waiting for a replacement. I was using 1/4 inch MDF with Walnut veneer when it stopped. Now I’m afraid to put anything that thick into the GF.

i don’t think that should cause a problem (unless you aren’t cleaning your machine).

I had probably 10 total prints on the machine or about 2 hours total. But when I was doing this particular print it was an hour long and very smoky. More then my fume extractor could handle I believe.

But good point. I will definitely probably clean in between prints from now on.

If you’re having problems, you should start your own thread, not pollute someone’s showcase thread.

That said, I’ve probably cleaned the optics on my machine less than 20 times in the >4yrs I’ve owned it. I know because of how many of the wipes I’ve used - and I’ve engraved some pretty messy material at times.

1 Like

Holy WOW!!! This is quite awesome! Extremely curious how the houses were made. Christmas winner for sure!!!

2 Likes

Not having problems just having a conversation. I apologize it offended you. Have a good day.

1 Like

the houses / castles were 3D printed and spray painted.

No offense here. Just inappropriate to post your issues in someone’s showcase thread.

It’s not failbook.

all good here.