Has anyone cut foam before?

I have this little twitch…

2 Likes

Had cognitive testing recently? :wink:

5 Likes

Surprised @henryhbk hasn’t chimed in.

1 Like

Probably passed out from breathing in the fumes from his 3D FDM or resin printers :smiley:

5 Likes

Haha. Tomorrow playing with SLS, but tonight doing major renovation on the home maker space… And was on the road for the last 10 days…

2 Likes

I’m doing that this weekend - but it’s the homemaker space :slight_smile: My wife has decided that now that all the kids are out of the house she’s commandeering one of the bedrooms and turning it into her space. Putting in special tables and such so she can sew or needlepoint prep/finish work, etc.

My maker space is either cold or dark - garage or basement :smiley:

2 Likes

Well mine ended up that way after my son accidentally sawed a live outlet in half with the oscillating saw and drilled into a heating pipe (which I will note put out the smoldering outlet… :crazy_face:)

16 Likes

All in the same day?

1 Like

Serendipity! :smiley:

4 Likes

Well I wouldn’t have left it smoldering for days…, it was actually within 5 minutes… the bolt was supposed to go in right above the outlet into the stud. Like maxwell smart, “missed it by that much!”. It was a pex pipe which shreds like butter, it requires a pro and the special tool to repair. Luckily each zone has a cutoff valve, but still got soaked.

6 Likes

I liked. For your description not your situation. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Wow, just wow! And he hit it in two, not just one direction. May I ask how old said son is?

1 Like

Old enough to have a pilot’s license. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

2 Likes

Am I able to cut this? What do you guys think? I tried looking for EPA EPS and whatnot but couldn’t find the description. It does say Chlorine free, but is that all I’m looking for?

1 Like

That’s a lot thicker than any foam I’ve cut.

I am just one person with a semi informed opinion…

I’d personally go for it. It’s an open cell foam, not very dense. I bet the laser will cut it easily. If I were trying this, I’d make sure I was cutting very quickly, speed 300, maybe 350, no lower. Foil can be melty and can be a fire risk, cutting very quickly is a good way to fight those risks, even if it takes multiple passes.

Also, with any material that is potentially melty or might burn, I’d stick to simpler designs without very fine details.

If you’re not familiar with my testing method, check out #6:

As per above about larger/simpler designs, I’d probably scale that test up to be an inch tall or so.

3 Likes

The Feldherr looks very similar to an Elmer’s brand I cut several months back. Same black color throughout. The Elmer’s I had on-hand is thinner at 0.22". The settings I ultimately settled on was worthy enough to put into my journal under “Foam Board” (notes section contains part number)

IMG_C45FA4B404EF-1

The card stock “skin” remained intact, but the laser will cause the sandwiched middle foam to retract severely… like rolling an eraser “marble” throughout the edge. If the project relies on those edges to be perfectly 90º straight, this type of board will disappoint.

In my case, I was using it to just make rigid signage. Oversized tabloid-size paper printed on a wide-format Epson, then spray-adhered to this type of foam board, followed by using the Glowforge to cut perfect holes for hanging.

This wouldn’t be the type of board I’d use to create anything structural that brings attention to the edges (square tooth joints)

I didn’t see any flaming of my foam at the thickness & settings I was working with, but for your 10mm version, the further slowdown in head speed required might yield very different (worse) characteristics… and it’s certainly much taller than what could slide through the Pro’s slot.

The Elmer’s version is a huge poster-board size, but wasn’t too difficult to trim down using a straight-edge and a fresh box cutter blade.

2 Likes

I’ve had one of these rabbet cutters since my college days building theatrical models.
My professors made us learn how to cut them with an xacto and metal ruler before letting us use this tool.

5 Likes

@ninyo , did you try that Feldherr stuff? If so, how did it go?