Haunted Halloween Project

This is my almost finished haunted Halloween project from the free design that was offered. I used a string of purple lights instead of green. The string is long enough to light the inside and the big tree in back of the house.

Another fun project for me, and I (as usual) learned a lot from doing it.

70 Likes

I will carve one of the artificial carvable pumpkins like the example email had. I’ll add more pictures when I’m successful at that.

3 Likes

The house is cool I suppose but I wanna know what’s up with that huge Gandalf-sized pipe on the wall?

7 Likes

This looks really cool!

1 Like

Thanks for the compliment (?) on the house. The pipe is from Colonial Williamsburg. It’s a tavern pipe. You rent it to smoke a bowl or more of tobacco, then the next to rent it snaps off some of the end of the pipe to get a clean end. We had two, but one of my grandchildren dropped it while helping us move things off the wall. Haven’t got back to Williamsburg to replace it yet.

8 Likes

Thanks. I was pleasantly surprised at how well it came out. My weakest area for hobbies (any kind) is gluing or soldering. This project is very forgiving that way.

2 Likes

The purple lights look great. Very nicely done.

4 Likes

Heh sorry yeah I think the house came out great, you did a great job. Apologies if my tone wasn’t obviously goofing around. I was just curious about the pipe! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

the first rule of giant Gandalf-sized pipe club is…

3 Likes

yeah, no problem there. Just thought I’d poke fun at your comment.

BTW that’s also why I rarely use any video conference software for anything - you never know what’s in the background.

2 Likes

Looks great, and I love the purple lights.

4 Likes

Great execution of the Halloween project. The number of steps to assemble and the time scared me away from that one. Your customizing definitely added to it.

1 Like

Thanks! The number of steps is not as troubling as you might think. The creator just did a great job of giving every detail needed to complete the house.

1 Like

I’m guessing the wood you’re using is a specific size. Is that listed anywhere? I was able to download the file but I’m only seeing part of it. Not sure what I’m doing wrong! Your work is stunning, by the way!

1 Like

Ooh this looks great! Congrats on how it turned out with the purple lights!

2 Likes

The project files include all the instructions for cutting parts from each of the sheets. There were single sheets of walnut, cherry and maple, as well as black glossy acrylic and clear frosted acrylic. I used the link in the instructions to buy the PG items, except for the clear frosted. It’s been out of stock for almost a month I think.

The project includes cutting instructions for each sheet so it’s easy to cut the correct pieces out. The instructions also say to keep the pieces together on something to label each part. I simply put each sheet on a piece of cardboard with all the parts in their cutouts. They included the part numbers for each piece. I could then stack them to take them to the gluing area… our dining room table.

I’m actually fairly new to the glowforge - only had it since February. This project is very straightforward to cut and to assemble. You could just dive into this project like I did. You’ll learn a lot of things about glowforges, projects, assembly of parts, etc. It’s how I became the Jenius with a capital J that I am today!

2 Likes

@Dan - a suggestion to reduce frustration for people starting a project from one of your emails:

1. thanks for offering up the free plans for the haunted Halloween House.
  2. when you offer up such a project, check the inventory of PG stock. I found the clear frosted acrylic “out of stock” from the first day I saw the email offering the project plans.

I did find another source for the material I needed, but it slowed down the assembly of the kit because I had all the other material delivered, engraved and cut before delivery of my non-PG acrylic arrived. Your company still doesn’t have the material.

Other than that, it was as near to hassle-free a project as I’ve done. I’ve already reached out to the creator to thank her for the lucid instructions.

2 Likes

It has been stated in the past that Glowforge personnel only monitor posts in the “Problems and Support” section of the forum. If you want this suggestion communicated to staff, I suggest moving your post, sending an email, or using the “Report this Design” tab in the Dashboard.

2 Likes

I know that one. A friend brought her HS football playing twins to help us move. One wrapped my husband’s irreplaceable glass chessboard in newspaper, set it on the floor(!) and the other one stepped on it.

1 Like

Yeah, she’s a bit of a klutz, but the pipe wasn’t her clumsiest effort. She was taking a quart container of marinated olives down to the basement and tripped…She didn’t fall, but the wall going to the basement was my “I love me” wall. It got bathed in olive oil with a little vinegar and spices. Oh well.