Have you removed the exhaust fan altogether?

You are right there, took me about 2 minutes to do the first 3 screws then 30 minutes to do the last one!! It must be impossible in the Pro. I do not see a warranty issue here since it can be screwed back in again.

I’ve already removed the grate, I wonder if taking out the fan makes the grate less of an issue?

I have a Pro and removed it as well as the grate as @eflyguy mentioned.

I will say however if you have a pro, and want to do this, I would by the cheapest replacement fan in this size or 3d print s duct if you can. I bought one on amazon for $6 and cut everything out of it.

If you remove and leave the fan off, it will allow alot of the air to bypass the finned cooler and it won’t perform well.

Having the duct maintains the air flow and performance of the cooler.

I also ran 6" hose from the glowforge through the fan and to the outlet. The improvement in air flow and static pressure in the forge is crazy.

9 Likes

i have a pro. I did it in stages. First I cut out the grate. Then I added an external fan, Then removed the internal fan and “flossed” the cooling fins (they were very crusty) while I was in there. No fan = So much quieter and goodly smoke removal.

3 Likes

(a) with the pro cooling fins, yeah I would be much more worried about removing the fan.

and (b)

How the hell do you keep the inside of your machine looking so clean???

1 Like

I too would like to know how this machine is kept so clean.

@sqw @pauline.lally; the image may be a bit misleading. These photos were taken immediately after tearing all this out, cutting, cleaning, reinstalling.

This is before doing anything.

2 Likes

My question is how to take off the top panel over the fan. I felt in there and didn’t feel any tabs, then looked in with my iPhone camera . Couldn’t see any clips either.

I sort of fumbled through it but you can find quite a few tutorials on it now. There are a few screws to remove and the tabs are hidden behind the foil tape you can see from the inside. I’d search for the tutorial videos and try that.

3 Likes

can you direct me to video / tutorial, etc on how to get the top panel off?

1 Like

Here’s one thread where it’s covered:

4 Likes

Thanks!!

This is awesome, thanks! I’ve been wanting to do this but didn’t want to leap into the unknown.

Did you find any tutorial? I cannot find it :frowning:
I want to remove that fan. I work mostly at night and that fan is very loud while I use inline fan…

I used an oscillating tool to cut mine out with a narrow blade. Pros are notoriously difficult to remove the top panel.

??? Why. The top panel is the same for all models. It’s tricky to get to the fan without removing the top panel because of the heatsink that’s in the way.

I just cut everything from outside.

2 Likes

Just be aware that when repairs need doing(replace laser tube etc), it seems the facilities don’t do just a single job. It seems their contract is to put the machine back into complete specs, no questions asked. So that fan/grill removal may end up adding to whatever other repair/replacement you need.

Opinion based on years of observation not anything GF has said or claimed.

1 Like

GF originally said that they wouldn’t fix a machine with the grill cut out. But then Dan reconsidered and said they’d take it on a case by case basis.

4 Likes

Cool ….so a definite hard maybe.

2 Likes

might be , but then again…

1 Like