Having trouble recentering/recalibrating [Resolved]

Hello! Whenever I first turn my glowforge on in the morning it takes me almost an hour to get the laser to recalibrate itself and center itself correctly and even then my glowforge always cuts a quarter inch to the right from where the display says it should cut. This morning I cannot get my glowforge to center at all and I’ve spent over an hour trying. Any suggestions? And thank you!

It’s not unusual for the placement to be off by up to 1/4" at the edges of the bed right now…they are still working on improving the algorithm that adjusts for visual placement. To reduce the issue, make sure you have the correct material thickness entered into the Unknown Materials slot if you are using anything other than Proofgrade Material with it’s pre-coded value.

As far as the Glowforge taking that long to calibrate…if it happens once in a while that can be put down to temporary WiFi signal issues, but if it happens consistently, you might want to consider running through the checklist to make sure that your WiFi signal is strong enough. They have a list of suggestions to improve the signal in the Troubleshooting section, and Pip outlined them here:

2 Likes

I had that issue with my first one and after reading various remedies i put mine on a separate router and haven’t had an issue since, knock on wood…

1 Like

Oh okay I thought I was doing something wrong to make it off. Ill have to be sure to get the number more exact. And this is probably going to sound dumb, but I lifted the lid and just stared at it for a while and noticed the camera lid had some dust on it so I wiped it off and it actually worked immediately after that! Thank you so much for the feedback though!!

2 Likes

Doesn’t sound crazy at all…the buildup of smoke particles on the lens can keep it from finding the bug on top of the printhead. :slightly_smiling_face:

You do want to keep the lenses clean…there are instructions for how often to clean it here:

https://glowforge.com/support/topic/cleaning-service-and-moving/cleaning

3 Likes

And the top of the head; if that’s obfuscated by dust and debris, the camera can have difficulty locking onto it for the centering process.

3 Likes

I’m glad to hear you were able to resolve it! I’m going to close this thread, but if you run into any other trouble, please let us know. Happy printing!