Head clicks during calibration after a manual engraving

So, I’ve done about 8 cuts/engravings with my GF and all of a sudden it’s not calibrating after a cut. I will get a nice engraving/cut out of it and then all I get is clicking out of the head and no movement at all when trying to calibrate. I’ve rebooted it many times and even moved the head manually under the camera to no avail. What should I do?

No idea what is wrong but the clicks from head are the focus motor homing.

3 Likes

Unless you turn off the Glowforge, it doesn’t normally calibrate after a print. Just the clicking noise.

1 Like

Right, but after a cut, I try to send another cut without powering off and it hangs on scanning image and the UI tells me it needs to be calibrated, so I power it off and back on and the unit only clicks…no movement at all from the gantry. Really frustrating.

You need to wait a bit after it finishes before sending another print. Take a look at this post for more info:

1 Like

Does it click forever or stop after a while?

If you cancel while it is scanning your material it needs to home because cancelling any motion means it doesn’t know where it is.

I get like 21 clicks every 10 seconds or so for about 2 min and then it just sits there. No movement from anything. I’ve closed the UI and powered off the machine for 10 min and tried to open back up the UI where it says the GF is Offline. When I power it back up, the clicking starts and the UI says the unit needs calibration and that’s where I currently am now…for the last few hours.

My complete guess would be the head homing is failing for some reason so it repeats it and then gives up.

If that’s the case, I hope they can send me a new head without having to fire off a whole new machine!

1 Like

I’m so sorry your Glowforge is having trouble calibrating.

Could you check the lens on your printer head by completing steps 1-5 of the Things that need wiping instructions?

Then, turn your unit back on and let us know if it helps

Thank you.

I wiped the side window on the head and the camera lens, but not the lens itself or the laser window on the side of the machine inside. Does the focusing come from the lens itself?

Mike Bargman
Manager, Information Technology
J.A. Air Center

Thanks for your reply.

I see you emailed us about this and have requested we work on it there, so I’m going to close this topic.