Head Not Found, Unable to Focus

I have had so many problems and down time the last week on my machine. It seems to be working and not working very spastically so it’s hard to pinpoint the problem.

Right now I am getting “head not found error”. When the laser head is positioning it seems to want to keep moving to the left and there is no more room to move. I have looked at cable connections, cleaned lenses, removed material from bed, restarted multiple times. Also getting the “bumped” error message.

The problem I was having last week (and still having some troubles) is the machine wasn’t able to manually focus on material when I selected the “set focus” button.

Wifi connection is good.

Maybe these two problems are correlated?

Need help ASAP as I have thousands of dollars of orders waiting!

Did the problem you were having last week get resolved, or do you still have an open ticket from that?

Head not found is usually an issue with the cable that connects the head to the rest of the machine - you should post pictures of the connectors (both male and female ends) (turn the machine off before you disconnect anything!), also check the length of the cable because if debris got in there there could be a break in it - or sometimes cables will rub off the white coating if you do a lot of work in a single area. Post pictures of anything questionable.

The head not being found is why it’s trying to go too far left. Generally it won’t move once it can’t be found, so that yours is seems notable. If you can record a video of it doing so it might help (post it to YouTube or Vimeo or something, and then post the link here - the forum can’t handle large files).

Also (this is most common in the Pro) double check that there aren’t any loose wires that are hooking onto the laser arm and stopping it from completing its whole motion.

Fingers crossed we can get you sorted!

Mine also … BOTH OF MY MACHINES SAID THE SAME THING AT THE SAME TIME! I THINK GLOWFORGE IS THE ISSUE! EVERY WEEK THERE SEEMS TO BE AN ISSUE!

Mine also … BOTH OF MY MACHINES SAID THE SAME THING AT THE SAME TIME! I THINK GLOWFORGE IS THE ISSUE! EVERY WEEK THERE SEEMS TO BE AN ISSUE!

Hi there. I’m sorry to hear that you’ve been continuing to run into trouble printing with your Glowforge. I was able to review the log files from your Glowforge, and saw you had an opened email thread for troubleshooting this as well. I just sent a response to your email, and have posted that below for easier reference.

I am also going to close this thread to consolidate any communications and avoid any potential confusion that can result in delays. Please feel free to review the steps below, and I’ll look forward to your email response. Thank you!

I extracted the most recent log files from your Glowforge and noticed your printer is having trouble communicating with the printer head. There are two key connections I’d like you to check for me.

Could you please do the following?

1. Turn off your Glowforge.

2. Holding only the finished black surfaces, grasp the printer head as shown. Pull gently up and back to disengage the magnets and remove the head.

3. There is a small tab in the center of the wire ribbon. Push down fully on the tab to release it, and gently pull the wire ribbon plug from the printer head.

4. Take a clear photo of the gold pins inside the printer head where you just unplugged the wire ribbon. It should look like this.

5. Pick up the printer head and wire ribbon. Make sure the tab on the wire ribbon is facing up. Slide the ribbon back into the head until it clicks.

6. As shown, lower the printer head over the metal plate so that it rests next to the two round posts. Then push it gently away from you – you’ll feel a “click” as magnets pull the printer head until it sits snugly atop the metal plate.

7. Pull the laser arm all the way forward.

8. Reach over the laser arm, and to the left of the inside of the unit and you’ll see this circuit board:

9. Reseat the flat white cable highlighted above, and then take a photo of the circuit board using the above image as reference.

10. Turn your Glowforge back on and try a simple test print.

11. Send us the photos you took in step 4 and step 9.

Once received, I look that over for any next troubleshooting steps needed.