Head not moving after storage

After having my machine packaged up for a few months I got it out and set it up in my new house. Cleaned it up a bit and fired it up for the first time in a while. After first boot up the laser head moved from top left down to the middle then was stuck on “centering”. Inspected the clips everything looks normal. Now when I turn it on the gantry does not move and also the head.

It is worth mentioning that I am on a different WiFi network than originally used.
I did successfully connect it to the new network.

That could be a part of the problem. Also, you probably have the old black cable that had a tendency to be strained if the lid was opened too high or too often. Support will have to chime in as their data will tell the most.

Ok so after letting the machine sit overnight the problem fixed itself. Now the issue I’m having is… it’s not cutting all the way through proof grade material, tried on medium green acrylic.

Intermittent problems do not fix themselves, though somebody at the mothership could have made a change. Not cutting all the way through is a different set of problems that a proper fix could worsen the intermittent problem trying to get there. :thinking:

The best suggestion would be to test first on a piece of scrap dropping the speed 5 at a time till it cuts through and use that. :slightly_smiling_face:

Always watch acrylic like a hawk as it is most likely to burn up.

1 Like

I’m sorry to hear your Glowforge is having an issue cutting through material. It is good to hear you are up and running. I would like to look into your first issue with your Glowforge being stuck in centering and also your issue with cutting through material.

Being stuck in centering

I’ve extracted the logs from your Glowforge and looked at the trouble you’ve been experiencing. The issues you’re seeing might be caused by a poor connection with the cables on your lid. Please follow the steps below to check the lid connections:

1. Turn off your unit.

2. Open the lid.

3. Using both hands, gently roll the laser arm to the front of the unit.

4. There are 5 clips pictured below. Check each one to ensure it is closed. The clip should lie flat, and you shouldn’t be able to flip it in any direction.

1. If any of the clips are open, please take a photo and attach it to your reply. Don’t try to adjust or reseat the cable until reaching back out to us.

Thank you for checking that out for us. If everything is connected properly, it’s likely that the black cable on the lid has a problem and needs to be replaced. Because your warranty has ended, you can follow this link to purchase a new Black Lid Cable.

While you’re waiting for your new lid cable to arrive, you can review the instructions to install it - Replace the Black Lid Cable.

Cut through

Could you please post a photo of the front and back of the print?

Please also let us know the date and time of the print (including time zone).

There are several things that need to be checked if the laser doesn’t cleanly cut through the material. We’ve discovered that photos don’t always come through well in emails, so I’ve included several links that will take you to reference instructions and photos. Please turn off your Glowforge and check the following:

Once all these things have been checked, please perform the following test print.

• Print the Gift of Good Measure on Proofgrade material, using Proofgrade settings.

• When the print finishes, leave the lid closed and wait until the fans stop and the picture updates.

Check the completed print:

• If the Gift of Good Measure fails to cut through, take a photo of the front and back of the print and attach these photos to your reply.
  • If the Gift of Good Measure cuts successfully, please try another print of the design you experienced the issue with, and let us know the results.

Hi @rpbinsf. It’s been a while since David’s last response, and we wanted to check in and see if you were running into any print trouble with your Glowforge still. If so, feel free to try the steps from David’s response and the results of any Gift of Good Measure print. We’ll be happy to take a look and help you get this resolved. Thank you!

I Think I can deal with what’s going on. If it gets worse I sure will try that out. Thanks for the help.

I appreciate you following up and letting us know. I’ll go ahead and close this thread, and feel free to start a new thread, or write us at support@glowforge.com, if you run into any other trouble. Thank you!