Heads up Miniatures Enthusiasts

I just stumbled across this, an auction of an apparently well known miniatures collection. The pieces really are exquisite. I don’t have any connection to these folks, just thought some would be interested. Here’s the link:

https://www.invaluable.com/catalog/5hzrc1o1v7

13 Likes

Those look pretty great, it’s interesting for sure. The parrot cage and suit of armor are both standouts as is that elaborate clock.

4 Likes

OMG!!! I know you were drunk when you posted this website. You really do not want all the miniature enthusiasts to go broke.

I will have to get a job outside of me being a World Famous Glowforge Catalog Designer to afford this website.

I have no problem being a stripper but the wheelchair might get in the way.

7 Likes

:joy: :rofl:

2 Likes

Wow! Someone’s shrink ray development investment really paid off. Some really neat stuff there.

4 Likes

Not fair to show us this…. :rofl: :dizzy_face:

5 Likes

Awesome pieces!

3 Likes

Great place for ideas for things to make on your Glowforge!

2 Likes

Very impressive, the loom is my favourite piece.

2 Likes

If you can afford any of these items, and are into miniatures, don’t hesitate. The guide price for many of these items is (probably) less than the original cost.

Having been involved in the dollshouse and miniature scene twenty odd years ago I can attest to the furniture at least will be of the highest quality. Michael Walton’s pieces in particular are superb. The last time I spoke to him he was trying to obtain US citizenship. A lovely, gentle Irish craftsman who speaks with a brogue that I could listen to for hours!

6 Likes

I have until September 19 to win the lottery. I noticed these three pieces have a set bid. I’m in love with the secretary desk.

2 Likes

I have a real one of these…

In need of restoration but very similar. My grandmother replaced the works(pre-1930) that did not have the moon phases so she paid an artist to paint the New Orleans cathedral there.

3 Likes

Funny how different we all are. I can fully understand why someone would want to painstakingly construct these miniatures, but am incapable of understanding the idea of needing to budget a purchase that has no functional purpose. Guessing it must be my engineering mindset. Closest I can get is how specific art makes me feel. I can see where owning an original Van Gogh or Vermeer might make me pony-up $1000. More than that would just be for investment.

2 Likes

I grew up with a beautiful Howard Miller grandfather clock that was built in the very early 1970s. My parents only had to get it serviced one time.

When guests would stay with us they had a very difficult time falling asleep because it chimed 4 times an hour. I love to hear it bong at 12.

To me it was such a beautiful sound.

Unfortunately my father was a sociopath and instead of his estate going to his two children. It went to his girlfriend of two months.

Long story very short he ended up getting murdered by the girlfriend’s sister.

Can’t hit a like there but a far too common story. My uncle was an inventor for Westinghouse but as his father had died young putting the family from top of the world to poverty just as the depression hit, was extremely tight with money his whole life, and when he died the very young girlfriend of short acquaintance got all the inheritance. Fortunately, no murders involved.

It is always a very sad story, the more people you know that well the more you can realize how almost all folk carry such sorrows that those who do not kmow them well are not aware of.

2 Likes

Coincidence that 5 minutes before your post I had been sitting on the floor next to my Howard Miller grandfather clock repairing a different pendulum clock. Both my kids have already called dibs on the HM when I end up in a nursing home. And yes, I intentionally keep it running to ensure guests don’t overstay.

8 Likes

When I find a picture of our clock — I will post it. I do not have a picture on my phone.

Your clock is gorgeous!!!

2 Likes

My clock is in three pieces and one is sort of fake. Originally it needed 14 feet of ceiling and now it needs only nine but I have never had nine feet of ceiling available.

2 Likes

My parents got the grandfather clock in 1972 or 1973. The salesman at the Howard Miller store told my parents to always keep a very small jar of kerosene in the bottom of the clock.

My mother took a baby food jar and put holes in the top of the lid and filled the jar halfway with kerosene.

When the kerosene evaporated it would be refilled.

I never asked them what was the reason behind the kerosene in the clock.

Would you happen to know?

2 Likes

Was very common practice. I’m sure it had something to do with lubrication through the vapors. It does leave a residue of kerosene on the movement. But I’m guessing clock repair folks would consider it a very bad idea. There are much better lubricants available.

2 Likes