Hello Seattle..I am in you

I’ve only been to Seattle once, to visit a friend. We did the Space Needle, the Market, original Starbucks, and a museum that was doing a science fiction exhibit. We prolly checked out a couple other things I’ve forgotten. Oh, we drove past the troll too. The museum was cool (they had a full size ~T800 Terminator and some cool props from Aliens (and maybe other movies in the quadrilogy)) and is definitely worth a look (if the exhibit is still there), but the best thing was The Underground Tour.

http://www.undergroundtour.com/

1 Like

Stop by the GF office and ask for an elevator ride. :smile:

13 Likes

Yeah…sure…lol. Im only here till Monday…lol

3 Likes

Is gum laserable? :neutral_face:

3 Likes

Possibly, but you’d probably need a filter to mitigate the stench of 20 YO gum.

Ukrainian Canadians tend to spell it Perogy/Perogies (purr-OH-gy) - sometimes much less often pyrohy.

Pierogy (peer-OH-gy) must be something aboot you funny Murricans. :smirk:

5 Likes

When I think pierogie I think boiled dough pockets of yummy potato, onion and cheese…then pan fried.
The piroshky place had pastries filled with similar but was more like baked dough…
I will definitely visit though and report back…lol

5 Likes

I’m a little late, but one kid-friendly places is Ye Olde Curiosity Shop on the waterfront. That’s near the Great Wheel and not to far from Pike’s Place and a short walk from the underground tour. It’s free to walk in and has all kinds of stuff inside. A note, the underground tour does touch on the seedier side of Seattle’s history, so if your son is there just be aware of that. If you do take it, walk across the street from where you come back above ground and grab a bite to eat at Kraken Congee, my brother’s restaurant.

1 Like

If you are up for an excursion up north, the Deception Pass park on Whidbey island is a beautiful spot! Whidbey is the largest island in the lower states, and doesn’t require a ferry ride to get to. If you go as far as Bellingham, you would shortchange yourself if you didn’t see Deception Pass.
There are virgin cedar trees there that you would be forgiven for assuming they are giant redwoods. They are what is meant by “old growth” that most people have never seen and don’t really grasp what that means.

Olympic peninsula is as scenic a place as you will find. Also a bit further north is Vancouver B.C. As beautiful a city as I have seen anywhere in the world.

The whole of Puget Sound is marvelous. Bask in the magnificence of the Cascades, and enjoy your trip!

4 Likes

…and if you like piroshkys, walk down further to Turkish Delight. They have a variation and the line is much shorter. If you go to the Seattle Center area (EMP, Pacific Science Center), wander over to the International Fountain. You are here during a “Heat Wave.” For us, 3 days of 90 plus weather is a heat wave. You can play in the water there.

3 Likes

I saw this and had to laugh…my first thought was what lovely weather we are going to have while we are there…its usually still in the upper 90s to 100 in Oklahoma with lots of humidity…

5 Likes

Awesome! Welcome to Seattle!

I haven’t seen it mentioned yet, so if you’re in Fremont, swing slightly west and hit up Theo Chocolate (if you are a fan of chocolate). They are a bean-to-bar chocolate factory and they have tours daily. I’ve been on the tour a couple of times, but we hit up the shop once a month or so.

If you happen to be a board game fan, continue north and west into Ballard and find Card Kingdom. It is one of the best/biggest board game shops I’ve seen, though it’s sister shop, Mox Boarding House is bigger. That one is in Bellevue. Both have restaurants attached and you can grab a game from the game library (free), order a beer (or soda depending on the age of your son :wink:) and some food and play a game.

How long are you in town? I don’t know about Mariners games over the weekend, but they are playing the Yankees on Monday at Safeco.

Again, based on the age of your son and if you are a drinker, but there are TONS of great distilleries in the area. Right down from Theo a bit (you can walk) is Mischief (really good rum). Another I’ve tried is Sound Spirits in the Interbay area (awesome Gin). If you are heading East, then Woodinville Distillery is a great place to taste some whiskey. There are several in the SODO neighborhood, but I haven’t been to any of those. Glowforge is also in SODO, right up the street from the corporate headquarters of Starbucks.

I’ve also heard that Alki Beach is a fun area. I haven’t been there myself.

1 Like

Love chocolate and boardgames! My 12yr old son is actually creating a tabletop board game that we will create the beta with lasered parts…
Have to pass on the alcohol unfortunatly…lol driving and having a minor in tow probably isn’t a good mix with drinking…lol

7 Likes

Wish I had brought my passport…would love to see BC…

1 Like

12 year olds love places like this. At least, my little girl does.

4 Likes

Yes! We took my friend’s 13 YO daughter there last summer, and she came away with a skull and some other odd bits.

1 Like

without looking at the link, I wanted to ask what did she kill?

1 Like

That’s right down the street from my office! Walk by it to the train most every day.

1 Like

I think you should pick up a Beta unit while you’re there… :slight_smile:

8 Likes

The Seattle Underground tour is pretty awesome! And stop in to Utilikilts and pick up a bad ass kilt while you’re in the neighborhood too. :wink:

The locks up in Ballard are cool too.

1 Like