Help adding a pattern to a project

Hi, I’m having a hard time figuring out how to turn a wave pattern .jpg (purchased on Shutterstock) into a vector to add to the sides of a wine box project (I want to cut out the waves). I’m very new to inkscape and illustrator. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Since you mentioned illustrator, the steps I outlined here will help you:

4 Likes

Thank you, I’ll try it!!

You can also import the JPEg into Inkscape and do a Path>Trace bitmap. Play with the various setting until you ge a copy you like then hit ok. It will vectorize the photo. You can then set the colors to the vectors and run the operation you want in the GFUI.

1 Like

Hmmm, I tried trace bitmap but it didn’t change anything. I didn’t change any settings because I don’t know what they do, but I’ll play with them. Thank you for your help!!

Are you using the live preview, hitting the ok button and seeing the vectors by moving the original jpeg? Best way is to execute the trace with live preview. Hit ok, then go to outline view. In outline view the jpeg should disappear (except for a red x) and the vectors should be present.

The only thing I can see when following your instructions is the red x, everything else disappears.
I’ll keep trying, though! Thank you!

Sometimes one of these converter sites work - give this a try:

1 Like

Hmmm…ok so you select the jpg, go to path>trace bitmap. Click the live preview button. Fiddle with the setting until something appears on the left side of the trace bitmap UI. Then hit ok. Then go to outline mode and only a red x shows. If you want, post some screen shots of what is happening. I am happy to have a look.

Thank you, I will!

OK, I will post some screen shots as soon as I can. Thank you for your help!

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.