Help air filter

My air filter unit started beeping and then the Glowforge went into cooling mode… the unit was full of smoke and appeared to not be running through the filter… 3 days use surely the filter doesn’t need to be replaced already… am I missing Something here?

What materials have you been cutting? If you’re going to say draft board…how much? cause there’s bad news there at how surprisingly fast the particulate from it will fill any filter.

1 Like

I did do a fair amount of draft board… then maple and red oak

I don’t have or use any filters just as a precursor:

I’ve read here some luck extending the filter life by always running it at max to draw particles as far as possible into the filter and using a prefilter media of some sort to capture troublesome particulate before it clogs up the expensive floor filter.

If you open the unit and take a picture of the filter media, I’m sure someone with practical knowledge can confirm or deny its being fully dirty.

I know there have been others who’ve posted pictures for this type of question before and a search using the :mag: up top there may get you an example of such.

Draftboard (basically, MDF) is the worst material for the filter, followed closely by “medium” plywood, which has an MDF core.

They give an estimate of filter life here and you will note draftboard is not listed. One person reported filling their filter in a day.

2 Likes

It’s not listed, but it’s mentioned right above the table, in this damning statement:

Materials from other sources may work just as well, but some materials may clog the cartridge almost immediately. For example, MDF products (including Proofgrade Draftboard) will dramatically lower your filter cartridge life.

There are also three warnings in the manual.

Which all goes to say, yeah, I think it’s full. :frowning:

3 Likes

I’m so sorry to hear that you’ve hit this snag. Based on the description of the trouble, I’d like to take a look at the cartridge inside of your filter.

Would you mind sending over a photo of the top of the filter cartridge?

1. Turn off and unplug your Air Filter
    The power switch is located on the back, next to the cord. Turn it off first, then unplug it from the wall.
  2. Open Air Filter
    There are four latches holding the top of the Air Filter in place. Lift the bottom of all four latches to release them, then lift off the lid.
  3. Take a picture
    Without removing the filter cartridge, take a picture of the top of the cartridge seated in the Air Filter and send it to us.

Once we can review this image, I’ll send over the next best steps. Thank you!

I see you’ve also emailed us about this and we’re working with you there, so I’m going to close this thread.