HELP -- Glowforge (low) table solutions in a jiffy!

Hi everyone!

I recently ordered my Glowforge and assumed it would come in the two-week expected time frame, but it is actually coming in FIVE days and I am in a bit of a panic to find a table that will fit in my kitchen (yes… I am a bit tight on space!). Due to the furniture configuration, I need to find a table that is lower to the ground (like a coffee table) and fits the GF nearly perfectly. I know the GF is heavy and I’m concerned about the “bowing” that could happen on wood tables without a center support. I have looked into the DIY IKEA solutions but I don’t feel that I have the time or energy to build that at this particular time…

The closest thing I’ve found, size-wise, is this:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/International-Concepts-Unfinished-Coffee-Table-OT-9TC/204766167?cm_mmc=Shopping|G|Base|HDH|59-34_INTERIOR+FURNITURE|NA|PLA|Living+Room|71700000045547815|58700004666510332|92700039479385856|pla-524065112868-65173697202&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8OjPoIbq4QIVmEwNCh27GQYWEAQYAiABEgKVAfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Do you think this table would support the weight of the GF? I am very paranoid about potential damage to the machine. The only downside to this is the inability to change the length of the legs to fit slightly uneven flooring – is there a solution to that?

Thanks in advance for your help :slight_smile:

-10EE

4 Likes

That one looks okay, but the Solano model with the shelf underneath would be more stable, and has the advantage of giving you a place to store a stack of materials.

Solano

7 Likes

Thanks so much for the response! I actually missed that one because of the low ratings but those seem to be unrelated aesthetic issues. Part of me wanted that 2nd shelf for storage also. Do you think this, along with rubber furniture levelers, will be a stable solution I won’t need to worry about?

1 Like

Can’t say for sure without looking at how the table is constructed, but it should be fine as long as the legs aren’t loose or a screw doesn’t fall out. We built one that stands on much taller legs and doesn’t have the shelf for stability and it works.
(It does shimmy sometimes though, so that’s why the shelf would be better for the additional stability.)

1 Like

7th image shows a little bit of the construction, I don’t know if that helps?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/International-Concepts-Solano-Unfinished-Coffee-Table-OT-6C/204766191

Interesting point though, this feels super stressful.

1 Like

I’d prefer to see larger brackets, but that will probably be fine. The machine only weighs 80 lbs, if I recall correctly.

(I’d go for it, and congratulations! You’re gonna have a blast!) :smile:

1 Like

Thanks so much for your help! I think I’ll go ahead with the Solano even though it’s 15 pounds heavier and going to be difficult to carry up a staircase (not sure what I’m going to do when the GF actually comes because I have zero upper body strength haha). I know I’ll be super happy once it’s all setup though and (hopefully) undamaged and properly working :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Also the GF I think is 50-55lbs if that makes the choice easier?

Get someone to help you get the Glowforge up there or you will hurt yourself. It’s unwieldy, even if it’s only 55 lbs.

(And open the box for the table and carry it up piece by piece.)

Thanks yeah I think I might have to hire a couple of guys since it’s coming on a Wednesday and probably earlier rather than later :cold_sweat: I’ve done a 33lb table in parts and that was already tricky. I’ll have to figure something out :confounded:

This is cool too, I like the casters:

The casters would make it easier to turn it around to clean the fan etc.

The one from home depot looked good too.

Oh also this one is burly:

Ashley Furniture Signature Design - Hattney Coffee Table - Cocktail Height - Rectangular - Gray https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IVHNGKK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_5idXCb4G3ZCD6

Seems kind of heavy but all metal construction will do that.

4 Likes

I had a number of those plastic shelving units and a good sized piece of foam PVC and also found that the Glowforge arrived a couple weeks earlier than expected. So in a rush I put two of the shelves together and the PVC on top and the Glowforge went on nicely though without the PVC it might have hung over an inch, As the Glowforge itself has 4 feet-there was no weight in the middle so that issue that might have existed did not. If I had not had the PVC a piece of 5/8 plywood would have worked as well. Not perfect but fast easy and very stable.

3 Likes

That Franklin table looks VERY cool and I hadnt even thought about needing casters for that reason. I still haven’t placed my order but that one is very appealing… you think it is for sure stable enough for the GF?

Thanks so much :slight_smile:

Ooooh great point, it doesn’t have middle weight! That brings me some relief and probably prevents bowing I imagined could happen. I’m feeling better about this :slight_smile:

Thanks so much for replying!

3 Likes

For sure stable enough is hard to say. I bet it won’t collapse, but there may be wiggle in the casters. No way to know.

Don’t overlook the consignment stores or even goodwill. Coffee tables don’t move quick so you might stumble onto a find. Also even if tne table isnt sized just right, a piece of plywood from the box stores can help get you through. (They will even cut it for you) Definitely get some help with the unboxing. The GF is just big enough to be awkward for even a 6 ft tall guy. (You can bribe your help by letting them watch the first cuts…everyone loves watching it burn… i bet i heard “thats cool” a dozen times as my father in law watched) oh and welcome to madness! It’s definitely worth the ride! :sunglasses:

1 Like

Thanks so much everyone! I bought the Franklin table from Target and I will update once it’s set up to report back and possibly help someone in the future who is also low on space (and time)! :blush:

1 Like

Also… don’t underestimate organization. Your materials will leap into unseen spots when you aren’t looking. (I KNOW I had ____, where is it?) you will only find something after you purchase the replacement… :sunglasses:

2 Likes

You wouldn’t want to be a watchmaker - it’s a rule that you must watch a spring or screw spin off into your workspace somewhere never to be found again. Every watch is a battle to get it all disassembled, repaired and reassembled without that happening. :grinning:

5 Likes

Sounds like a good use for one of those enclosed containment chambers you put your arms into. I’d still lose things that way, I’m sure…

1 Like