Help identifying hardware

Can anyone tell me what these are called, but a much smaller version? I tried looking up some of the words in the listing title, but I’m still not having any luck finding what I’m looking for. These say for a bedpost…I want some for chopsticks, and maybe not with the 3 screw holes. Just a male and female end. I’m attempting to make a pair of screw together chopsticks for my husbands Christmas gift.
First pic is I think the hardware I want…the second pic is a pair of screw together chopsticks.

I want to make him some out of sterling and a fancy wood (not sure what kind yet). I don’t know who else to ask and know this forum has a lot of knowledgeable people in so many different vocations!

3 Likes

See if a t-nut is what you’re looking for.

4 Likes

That looks close to the female end. I’d like to find something nice for the male end too, instead of just a screw. There’s a bunch of different t nuts, and that’s helping me search. Thank you :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I don’t make pens so this might be a stupid idea but they use some sort of threaded connector right?

1 Like

Looking at this image on Amazon, knock-down hardware might also have what you’re looking for:

3 Likes

I thought about pens too. But again, didn’t know what to call it, and I was getting tired of searching for something with the wrong keywords. I was thinking someone who makes pens might see this and suggest something.

@deirdrebeth that picture looks like what I’m looking for…or really close to it!

I’ve also been searching the house for something I can rip apart. :laughing: No luck yet. Isn’t that a part of making things? Ripping something apart to make another thing with its pieces?

2 Likes

Lol, yeah I have no idea what they are called either but they would be close in size to what you are looking for.
Hey what about this:
https://www.amazon.ca/Neewer®-Threaded-Converter-Adapter-Shoulder/dp/B01CORF6LY/ref=asc_df_B01CORF6LY/?tag=googleshopc0c-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=292974213822&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1275497968533720614&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9001603&hvtargid=pla-442523723515&psc=1

4 Likes

Looks too big. I need something that the overall width is about 6-7mm.
That was a good idea though! I hate searching for hardware when I don’t know what it’s called. I have spent countless hours just trying to figure out the name of something. Like these. It’s so simple if you know what it’s called.
T nuts are the closest so far, but I’m having a hard time finding both sides.

Try searching for M6 threaded inserts and then you just need to fine a suitable sized threaded rod for the other half.
They go as small as M3 I think.

2 Likes

OK, looking again. Reading that you want to make chopsticks, so you’re looking for something that will fit in 4 to 6 mm diameter tube pretty much? That sounds like you’d need something custom, although somebody that makes jewelry might have a source.

If you decide on a t-nut then put those on both sides, add a threaded post and put some type of bushing onto the post. You can solder it so he won’t loose it when you take it apart.

Check on SCREW BACK EARRING STUDS and see if that is something you can adapt. They come in several sizes.

2 Likes

There are woodworking sites that cater to chopstick makers - Lee Valley Tools and Bridge City Toolworks carry jigs and tools for making your own. Someone in that community may be able to help you.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.