Help! My Glowforge Pro arrived and its stuck on too cold!

I’m so frustrated that there is no one who I can personally call if I need help. Received my glowforge pro yesterday, set it all up and will not change status from too cold. Mind you I live in Hawaii and are weather is never cold. Ughhhh I can’t do anything…

Too cold maybe because something came loose in shipment. If you’re motivated, you might look inside to see if there are any obvious wires/connectors not plugged in to the controller board…

2 Likes

I’m desperate to do anything I just don’t want to mess anything up

Well, just looking won’t do any harm. If you spot something that looks funny, jam your cell phone in there and take a picture. GF Customer Support would want that info maybe, anyway. And if you do spot something that doesn’t look right, another user (me, for instance) could check their machine to compare and possibly help you figure out the problem before the weekend is up…

1 Like

How long have you let it stay on? I’m on Oahu and it’s been raining these last few days, so it has been “colder”. And it’s even colder in the FedEx trucks, so letting it just sit there while on for a couple of hours should warm it up.

When I first got mine, I constantly got the too warm message and couldn’t use mine during the days almost at all, that was fixed with a portable AC.

2 Likes

I don’t see anything abnormal but again I have nothing to compare it to.

I actually let it run for a while thinking it would eventually warm up still nothing. I even left it on all night thinking it should eventually warm up

Were you able to establish a connection with your Wifi and open the App? (Did you try rebooting to see if the message changed?)

1 Like

My wifi connected fine and it connected to the app as well. What does rebooting consists of doing?

I keep my GF in an uninsulated basement. I live in New England where it gets mighty cold. I have a 2KW electric heater in the basement set at 63ºF. In the dead of winter it will run all the time (if I leave it turned on) so it’s not getting to the setpoint. But I have yet to have my GF complain about the temperature.

60ºF is the minimum. Hard to imagine it gets that low very often in Hawaii, unless you live a higher altitude maybe…

Nothing looks obviously amiss in the pictures, BTW.

It’s difficult to imagine that GF would have shipped the machine with a bad sensor, and shipping often does entail a fair amount of mechanical shock/vibration that can knock stuff loose. Once GF sees this thread they can probably tell you exactly where to look. But in the meantime, as long as you’re not poking around with sharp implements or yanking on anything very hard, wiggling stuff around is still worth a shot.

I know it’s kind of a lame suggestion, but disconnect the power, reach in there and just gently wiggle anything that looks like a wire/connector. Maybe you’ll find one of the connectors isn’t properly seated. Maybe you won’t, but wiggling will still “reseat” something that’s marginally making contact. Then remove your hand and reconnect power and turn it on and see if that made a difference.

1 Like

Rebooting is turning off the router, the computer and the machine for a minute or so, then turning them back on in that order and letting them finish booting up before turning on the next in line.

Sometimes a signal gets dropped while it’s being transmitted over Wifi (can happen anywhere along the line) and the message just gets stuck. Rebooting clears it.

That might not be it, but it might just re-establish communication. (You don’t have to reset the Wifi connection, just turn things off, wait a minute, then turn them back on.)

1 Like

I appreciate all the help. I will definitely try anything to make it work.

Thank you I will try this when I get home. I think I only turned off the machine and logged out of my app. I haven’t turned my router yet.

I’ve extracted the logs from your Glowforge to investigate your report, and unfortunately it looks like your unit arrived with issue that we can’t resolve remotely. I want you to have a reliable unit, so I’m recommending we replace this one. I’ll be in touch via email to sort out the details. I’m so sorry about the bad news.