Help with shapes?

I know I can image trace for the outside but how to I cute out the inner half circle?
I have designer affinity
Thank you!

There’s probably an easier way, but I would just use the pen tool and hand trace that inner half circle. It’s sort of a PITA way to do it, but it will work.

8 Likes

It is very easy in Gimp. This is the SVG, you can drop in your own image…
moonmaid

It was super quick so you may need a bit of cleanup.

8 Likes

Thank you! What is gimp?

2 Likes

“GIMP is a free and open-source raster graphics editor used for image manipulation and image editing, free-form drawing, transcoding between different image file formats, and more specialized tasks. It is not designed to be used for drawing, though some artists and creators have used it for such.”

4 Likes

There are 2 basic concepts in image creation. One is a point-by-point vector line that is the same design no matter how big or small. Very precise and low in memory cost but necessarily simple. The other is an array of little points or pixels such as your tv screen, where every point has a color but there is no connection but what you make with your eye. Glowforge can do many things with the vector type but can only engrave the pixel array.

I use Inkscape for the manipulation of the vectors, and the Gimp program for manipulation of pixel array images. Each of those has limited utility in the other style, but for my thinking Gimp is best for finding vectors in a graphic image such as your needs in that graphic image.

Gimp does some amazing things at the interface of vectors (it calls paths) and its pixel native format such as laying out a path or manipulating it and then run any of the modifiers like blur, smudge, paint or eraser for example making a gradient off the side of a line that will engrave as a rounding or angle. I quite disagree that it cannot be used to create images from scratch as most of the tools are for exactly that, quite aside from using it to clean up photographs, which does not use most of those tools.

2 Likes

I too use Gimp a lot, as well as Inkscape. Quite often I have both open while designing.

The quote were not my words, they came from a description of the tool I found online (which is why I put it in quotes). I have also used Gimp to create images from scratch - although not for the laser. That was one of the reasons I bought a WACOM tablet years ago.

3 Likes

From where? There is silly stuff all over the internet from folks who do not know of what they are talking about.

2 Likes

Gimp documentation:
https://docs.gimp.org/2.10/en/gimp-using-rectangular.html

They even suggest using Inkscape for this purpose.

3 Likes

Amazing. And that in the middle of proving their own words wrong. Should that be reported as a bug?

1 Like

If it bothers you that much, go ahead.

I’ve used tools like Gimp - before that Photoshop, before that Paintshop Pro, before that MacPaint - to draw freehand and basic shapes. Doesn’t matter to me what they say if it provides functionality I can use.

3 Likes

Out of context it certainly gives the wrong impression. I would describe Irfanview that way perhaps but Irfanview does nothing with vectors or masks.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.