Hexagon Wall Hangings

Hi, Just thought I would quickly share my latest little project.

My daughter made a set of hexagon shaped shelves in my shop to hang on the wall for a decorative art piece. She sent me these photos of the finished project.

So I started thinking, maybe I could submit an addition to her art project. So I fired up the laser and came up with this:

I designed the honeycomb layers in Inkscape and bought the bee images on Creative Market stock graphic sight.

Of course I had to put something in to personalize it :slight_smile:

She was pretty happy to add it to her wall.
Now that I have it finished other ideas popped into my head. Next I think I may make a clock…

88 Likes

This is a fine piece of artwork / such a delicate honeycomb!

5 Likes

Thank You! I thought for sure that the bottom layer was going to be burnt to a crisp but it held up well.

1 Like

Love how you combined the fluid shape with the rigid honeycomb design - and layered as well!

3 Likes

Oh my! That is excellent! :grinning:

3 Likes

Outstanding!

2 Likes

What a fabulous addition! I’ve been wanting to tackle a bee hive myself. You’ve inspired me! Thanks for sharing.

4 Likes

The different depth was a nice touch.
Makes it stand out (pun not intended).

4 Likes

The shelves look really great! I agree, the various depths are neat.

3 Likes

Does anyone else sometimes just sit back in awe of this machine and what it allows us to do and the creativity it sparks? @tjleasa sees something inspiring and is able to act in it and make a beautiful piece of art for a loved one. It’s so beautiful.

9 Likes

Well said! Still in awe of this machine after years now.

@tjleasa, great work!

6 Likes

:heartbeat: x100. I could not agree with you more. I never felt that I’m naturally an artistically inclined person (Right brain, left brain thing, I’m sure) but always wanted to be; draw, paint, play music, etc. A year ago, pre-GF, I never would have had the ability to make a project like that but more importantly I don’t think I would have even thought of it.
I have a small workshop in my basement and I think the GF (along with my 3-d printer and CNC), has even increased my ability to use my traditional tools in a more creative way.

6 Likes

That is fantastic! I love how the gf allows us to never see what the limits of our imagination are.

4 Likes

Oh wow, what a gorgeous piece! You definitely elevated a very nice set of shelves to the status of an art piece.

5 Likes

Very creative and beautiful piece!

4 Likes

A decent amount of layered projects coming out lately, obviously I must add a layered projects to “the list” :wink:

Great work, it really came out fantastic!

2 Likes

I love what you’ve done there. It is a real eye-catcher.

1 Like

Wow! I love all of it!:heart_eyes:

1 Like

Heh - I was thinking the same thing!

2 Likes

@tjleasa , i came across this when looking for new ideas for the glowforge. I looked everywhere for the svg file to recreate this with my own twist, and even tried creating my own honeycomb in inkscape to no avail. im wondering if could share the file with me so i can create my own

3 Likes