Hey, just thought of something: CDs engraving and cutting

I haven’t researched it, but thought somebody here might know offhand, can you lightly engrave CDs?

1 Like

If you don’t actually need to use the CD anymore…
However, they have Lighscribe CDs which have a special top layer and can be scribed using specific CD Writers with the technology.

But on a :glowforge: probably not a good idea.

2 Likes

ok, just a thought, I don’t use them that much anymore anyway but I thought it would be good for wedding photographs, etc.

I think they are made from polycarbonate that doesn’t laser cut well but a light engrave might be OK.

That is a good point.

On top of that the label side is super thin and you risk damaging the data layer unless you have a thicker top layer designed for engraving.

1 Like

yeah that’s the downside, they probably wouldn’t be useful for data anymore. as an art project, though, go hog wild.

3 Likes

Would the reflectivity be an issue?

From the archives.

3 Likes

Only if you go deep enough to get through the plastic, which is opaque at CO2 wavelengths. Then you would get a brief reflection from the aluminium, but it is so thin I expect it would vaporise before the reflection could damage anything.

1 Like

Neat! Thanks.

1 Like

when i last built my dad a computer several years ago(he just got a new one) I stuck a lightscribe burner in it. He likes to get fancy with his conversion of family photos and label the disks.

haha. i feel like i was the only person who really got into those. i friggin loved doing engraves on the back; people when nuts over how they looked.

The real question is how are you going to find something that plays the CD after you engrave it? :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes