I was going through a phase this weekend where I played around with some WWII plane designs. I’d done the Zero earlier and had fun with it so decided to make some more. The process is pretty simple and straight forward. I look for blueprints online of interesting aircraft and then trace the side profile in and the wings from the top profile.
I had fun adding the symbols to the wings and fuselages so they’d be easier to identify and tried to stick with some distinctive/famous aircraft. The first one I’d done was the Zero.
Then I did a Russian Sturmovik per a recommendation from a friend of mine.
and finally a P51 Mustang
I am pretty happy with how they’ve been turning out.
and some close ups of each
I also worked up a B-17 which was a bit more ambitious of a project, but I wanted to get some outboard engines and additional dimensionality from those.
It looked great on the first cut, but then I realized I had a problem wit the design because the slot for the wing was sized for the center of it, but with the engines along the way it was too wide to fit through. So I had to add a cut down the middle that I could hold together with the body after assembly. A little dovetail did fine for this.
It turned out OK in the end