Holiday signs for friends and family

Hey All!

This is my first post and I thought I would share some holiday signs I made for family and friends. These were made with some 100+ year old reclaimed barn wood that I finished with a simple white wash. I tried to incorporate several elements in to each sign to make them more interesting. in some cases I etched directly into the barn wood in other cases i cut out components from veneer or hardboard to give the sign a more 3 dimensional effect. the combinations made for a really nice looking finished product.

let me know what you think!

70 Likes

I’m sure you hate how they turned out.

You know, all perfect and well-designed.

It’s ok we won’t judge you.

12 Likes

Looks great! What type of tape is that? Was it to hide the burn marks?

1 Like

These are absolutely gorgeous! From the fonts to the layout … perfect!

3 Likes

Just some regular old blue painters tape. Because the surface was already painted I didn’t want to try and clean up the Smokey residue after printing.

I bought some 3in wide tape off Amazon and it works great for this…

Those look wonderful, great job.

2 Likes

Wow awesome! Thank you!

1 Like

Fabulously professional!

1 Like

And what a great post it is! wow.

1 Like

I will admit that these are beautiful, even though I’m horrified that you painted reclaimed barnwood. :wink: I’m sure the recipients were really happy with them!

1 Like

Ohmygosh they are wonderful! I guess your first post was worth waiting for!

1 Like

Those are beautiful. Crisp, clean and easy to read. Love the veneer trees.

1 Like

I know… I know…

These are scraps left over from other projects and they were in pretty rough shape so I didn’t mind painting them. But normally I would agree :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hah. They look fantastic, so sometimes it’s worth it!

1 Like

Very nice, especially the Powell Farms Christmas tree one. Top marks for clean typography.

1 Like

Very nice and definitely worth posting.

1 Like

These turned out amazing! I’m curious about the process you used to design the layout. Specifically, fonts - and line designs. I’m sure your family loved them!!

1 Like

Glad you liked them! I wish I had some wisdom here on my process I could share but it’s really just trial and error. I use inkscape to layout my design and create the SVG files. I find free lines and scrolls online and use inkscape modify them to my needs. I also go to this website a lot to find and download free fonts https://www.1001fonts.com/

4 Likes

Thanks for the tips. Your projects motivate me to explore! Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Oh those are nice! :grinning:

1 Like