Homing, Centering, and Calibration are not completing

I actually am not sure if its the dreaded black cable… My camera seems to be working when I can get it passed centering (assuming its the camera that the black cable controls). There are definitely no connectivity issue from my wifi to/from the glowforge, and interference here is next to zero. In fact, the GF goes online with status updates immediately when expected. And just to eliminate this as an issue I did a direct hotspot from my phone sitting right on top of the GF using LTE, still no dice.

When it does skip over the centering process, pictures of the bed come over just fine. The problem is when I actually start a job in this state, the thing cuts and engraves wildly, as if the printer head doesn’t know where it is (which makes sense, because it hasn’t homed or centered properly).

At this point I feel it is a software issue, or something unknown broke in my unit.

Can anyone from Glowforge Support throw in their two cents, I would really like to get this thing back up and running.

Thanks for all the help guys!

Just to set expectations, the standard response is three business days. Sometimes sooner, sometimes longer.

1 Like

They’re pretty overwhelmed right now due to the holiday season, but they WILL get here, since posting in Problems and Support opens a support ticket. :slight_smile:

I am so sorry you have to deal with this issue and for the delay in our response. Could you check the tension of your belts for me?

When pressing lightly on one side of the belt, the other side should not move.

Like this:

(You should see an animated image above)

Let me know if the belt is loose and I will follow up with your next steps.

1 Like

@Camilo.P I do not see an animated image above.

The belt feels normal but not sure how to check it without your instructional image. :slight_smile:

Just FYI, those images never show because they are hosted on a site that members here do not have access to.

1 Like

Just as a test, I pushed in on the front side of the belt on the gantry with my left hand, and with my right hand moved the back side of the belt to the right and left. There was obvious resistance, but I was able to do it.

Here’s a link to the video that should display:

According to the video in the post, the other side of my belt does NOT move. Thanks @Jules :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m sorry for the delay in my response and the trouble with that GIF!

Could you please send us a photo of the pulley under the laser arm, like the example below?

Belt not moving
https://imgur.com/a/7VTdp1Y

I’m so sorry to hear that you’ve hit this snag. I appreciate you checking the tension on your belts, and for providing such great information. I’ve extracted the log files from your Glowforge to review the head homing trouble you’ve ran into.

I’d like to review some photos from the inside of your Glowforge.

Assuming you’re using a smartphone, try these tips for great photos:

• Use flash
  • Zoom in using the digital zoom
  • Hold the camera/phone far enough back to get good focus.

Here are the photos:

Motor on the laser arm:

Once I can review these photos, I’ll send over the next best steps.

You do realize, again, your image can not be seen? That site you keep linking to is not accessible to members here.

1 Like

I can see that one. (Can’t always see the GIF for the belt tension though…sometimes that one doesn’t show up.)

Since I dont see all the example photos you posted above, I just took a bunch of pictures of things you may want to see.

Thank you for sending these over. I apologize for the photos not being viewable.

After reviewing the photos, I’m concerned that one of the main cables on your Glowforges inner board has become disconnected. Could you make sure the cable in this photo is connected properly?:

I would advise first power your Glowforge off, disconnecting the power cable, and then reconnecting this cable.

If you cannot see the image I’ve attached to this response, in the second photo you uploaded, there is a cable connected to the board on the bottom left hand side that appears to be disconnected. This is the cable I’d like to have you reseat. Once reseated, please let me know if you run into the same trouble.

Thank you!

4 Likes

Thanks so much everyone! I just reseat the cable, which was clearly not seated correctly. I physically felt it was loose. Not exactly sure how it came loose, but all is right in the forest now!

Thanks again everyone, and Happy New Year!

4 Likes

That is fantastic! I appreciate you taking the time to re-connect this cable, and working so closely with us to narrow down the trouble. I’m so glad to hear that everything is now working properly.

I’ll close this thread for now, but please don’t hesitate to post a new topic, or reach out to us directly at support@glowforge.com.

1 Like