Homing, Centering, Sparks

This am I was creating ornaments and my GF just stopped I powered it off cleaned it checked connection found that the cable had came loose from the head. Fixed that then got stuck on homing centering this also happened before so I checked the connections of the black ribbon. I turned the machine on and sparks from the little silver plate I’m guessing a circuit board, faulty ribbon maybe? what in the world caused this. Im so frustrated spent hours yesterday designing and now im out. This was a newer cable as we just replaced it in Sept.Im sure my machine is shot. Just extremely frustrated and need help

1 Like

Ouch. A picture would help support with diagnosis.

1 Like

Hopefully the pic posts correctly

Sounds like you have had this issue before. I was wondering how far do you open your glowforge lid? do you open it right up to the stops as far as it can go every time?

I just open it till it stops. This ribbon cable that was sent in Sept seemed short and the connections was hard to plug in from the beginning.

Sry to hear you are having problems with it again. One thing ive noticed from reading through the P&S section for awhile is the design of the cable is not that great and when the lid is opened till it stops all the time drastically reduces the life of it. What i do personally is only open the lid about 45-60 degrees just so the lid will stay open but not stress the cable or have it rub on the metal frame just above that board. Not saying it is your fault at all, just when the new one comes if you are able to work with the machine without opening it all the way you will hopefully have a far longer lifespan with the cable.

2 Likes

Thank you thats good advice Im betting I have to send it in and I think the warranty ended on the 1st :(. Just my luck

3 Likes

Fingers crossed and hope that is not the case.

1 Like

I was wondering if you look through the lid this way are there any wear marks / burn marks on the back of the cable?

nope just that piece it plugs into on the bottom

1 Like

I do believe the last time we saw this a replacement was required. :grimacing:

UGH!! Im pretty sure we are out of warranty but I swear I had a faulty black ribbon that caused this. That was sent to us in Sept. Im still waiting for support to respond though

1 Like

Personally, I agree. It wouldn’t have happened if the cable hadn’t failed.

In the years I have been associated with this company, I know them to be more than fair. Sorry for the bad news, but hopefully they will take the ribbon cable issue into consideration. Good Luck!

thank you we need all the luck we can get

1 Like

Unfortunately, it looks like your unit is experiencing an issue that we can’t resolve remotely. I want you to have a reliable unit, so I’m recommending we replace this one. I see you already emailed us about this and we’re working on it there, so I’m going to close this topic.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.