Homing process

Especially if you’re waiting on the wrong side of the bathroom door :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5 Likes

Oh no doubt. I’m looking forward to seeing this forum light up with posts.

The homing when lost thing has happened maybe three times since I’ve had the glowforge and I think they fixed the old reason it would get lost (opening lid during certain operations). I think the only time it’ll have a problem is if you power it off while it’s moving.

2 Likes

Oh wow. That’s really interesting. Thank you!

Just so I understand this process… And, yeah, this is going to be a stupid question… Do you have to turn it off first? Or does opening the lid interrupt the process and you can just move it freely at that point or…?

1 Like

Nope. When powered, the steppers are enabled and holding.

3 Likes

I leave the power on, otherwise it moves around even more.

1 Like

Thanks! So when you open the lid does it stop moving? I’m just thinking I wouldn’t want to fight the machine and break it.

yeah it stops moving when you open the lid. just dont move it too quickly or it could push too much power back to the drivers. itll be hard to do when its still powered though, so you should be ok. this is probably not approved procedure though, so take it with a grain of salt.

2 Likes

Yeah, sure. But that’s why we’re all here… to tell each other the things that the company can’t/won’t.

Thanks for the tip!

2 Likes

It’s still changing quite a bit so, as with anything you hear about prerelease units, take it as a point of trivia and not immutable fact.

One of the things we’ve been improving is the way we calibrate head homing at the factory - it’s not a coincidence that yours is slower and more trouble-prone than machines that were made later. Your calibration data is older.

(Funny story: we had a batch of machines with really bad head homing. Turned out that someone at the factory had put a sticker on the head for tracking purposes and it was in all the calibration pictures, messing them up.)

Correct!

14 Likes

Nothing like that Quality Control: PASSED validation to really fowl up the works.

13 Likes

I’m not sure what would be more annoying - the waiting or the music.

1 Like

~30 second waiting time… internet-connected device… built in speaker… sounds like a perfect place to insert some commercials. Generate some ad revenue!

:smiling_imp:

7 Likes

Let us pick our own startup sound/music.

4 Likes

That’s evil all right.

3 Likes

I’m thinking of naming mine Alexa:

8 Likes

Jeopardy theme song

3 Likes

I want mine to play that heroic theme song in LOTR/Return of the King where they are lighting the beacons.

5 Likes

I know it isn’t 30 seconds, but I keep thinking of Marvin Martian saying, “Where’s the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom.”

6 Likes

Once the laser is firing, can we do the thing of movement patterns that play music on the stepper motors?