Homing process

The sound effects from the Death Star would be entertaining for anyone in listening range.

2 Likes

Would require a bit of firmware hacking, I’m sure, or a REALLY elaborate custom cut plan.

This might be the best opening to post this…

18 Likes

Who’d have guessed one could hear photons hitting metal.

2 Likes

There will be cake.

I want either the Magnum, P.I. or A-Team themes. I guess anything Mike Post wrote will be fine with me.

3 Likes

I was going to say that mine (received last week) calibrates really quickly; usually before I get done opening a window, sticking the vent hose outside, siting back down, and opening the app

4 Likes

Likewise.

3 Likes

Oh, and I find that talking to it in a soft, soothing voice, beckoning it home, helps a lot, too.

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

7 Likes

You could sing:

Home, Home from the Range
Where the lens and camera do play
Where seldom is heard a lasern’ blub
And the Glowforge :glowforge: is not cloudy all day

5 Likes

The question is if it is the laser hitting the metal or if they tweaked a laser into the equivalent of a singing arc. If the latter, it is the light itself emitting the sound.

Under the circumstances, I think the theme to McGyver (the old one) would be appropriate :smile:

4 Likes

Not sure if you would call it an arc when there is no electrical current but the ball of hot glowing material that appears where the beam strikes probably imparts sound waves to the air and also a small amount of pressure on the plate.

I was joking when I said it was the sound of photons.

1 Like

Indeed. It is more that the frequency of the light, or the burning metal at the impact point (or vibrating the plate itself) creates the sound. (Same concept as a singing arc, the frequency of the electricity makes both the sound and the light color.) This was definitely requiring some custom work, especially to have it double for etching the logo.

1 Like

there may or may not be an internal video of this happening already :wink:

14 Likes

I want mine to play the Benny Hill chase music…

4 Likes
11 Likes

That sounds like something that should be shared with the loyal customers, under the carefully mentioned tagline: “Do not try this at home.”. (Just to cover all the legal bases.)

3 Likes

On the face of it homing by looking for the logo on the head with the lid camera seems a good idea because it establishes directly the relationship between the head and the camera. However it has just occurred to me that the top of the head is very much closer to the camera than the work piece. The camera is fixed focus, so it must get a very blurred image of the head, unless it has a truly amazing depth of field. Getting a super accurate fix on a blurred image seems very difficult, if not impossible.

As the camera only looks at a still scene where everything is fixed it could use a long exposure and a small aperture to get a very good depth of field but can it focus on the top of the head as well as the far corners of the bed?

Perhaps this explains the slow and evolving homing process.

2 Likes