Honest Question

Never had any issues with my wi-fi, have never reset in over 2 years with my basic.

Really? You want the CEO of the company to help you troubleshoot your wifi issues?

1 Like

ugh — I also tried to tag @Support… what the hell? @eflyguy No - I tagged him … cause… it’s an issue, do I expect HIM to answer… no…people tag me (I own a company) when there is an issue…this is my relaxation time and I go to “play” and my machine hasn’t worked the last three times I’ve gone to use it… this is an issue…Now… why cant I tag @support? that’s just silly in a support forum.

Posting here opens a support ticket. Same as email. Standard response is three business days.

Get into the habit of turning the machine on once in a while to let it get any updates out of the way. (At a minimum, once a week.)

When there are a bunch of updates backed up in the system, that require resets and have to load in a correct order, it can cause things to hang up when you turn it on for the first time in a long time. :slightly_smiling_face:

And while you’re at it…run a job. It’s very relaxing. :wink:

2 Likes

@Jules – I have to be in the same location as the machine to do that… I come here to my studio/second home.

However, that’s not a bad thought / sentiment about certain uploads needing to be done in a certain order. Logical and helpful. Thanks! It’s just a matter of finding a routine that doesnt leave me cranky pants when Im finally ready to cut.

Really, thanks.

No … really, thank you @Jules!

Chuckle! No problem. I had mine hang up once when I left it too long unattended. Rebooting fixed it, but that is kind of a drag.

Me neither.

I also have not had any WiFi issues or need to repeat setup in ~2 years.

1 Like

You’ve already tagged support by posting in P&S – it opens a support ticket.

As to how often, I have to reset mine pretty frequently. We live (as of a month ago) out in the sticks and have crappy Internet that goes down if the wind blows or it rains a little. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Just after I first got it set up and working, the ISP changed something that required a factory reset on my machine, and another time changing the channel on my 2.4GHz network fixed it. But usually just resetting the router and the machine is enough.

2 Likes

Three years now and I have never had a wifi connectivity issue with my Glowforge.

That said, wifi connectivity is a pinch point in the process for some people.

1 Like

Never

The quality of your Wifi is not a part the Glowforge, those with good service and situation have not seen any problems.

i’m not sure i would completely exonerate GF from the wifi issues. just because some people have had solid connections doesn’t mean that the wifi couldn’t stand for some improvements. lots of people have no issue with other devices in the same location, but do have issues with GF.

that’s not to say everyone who’s had a problem was an issue with the GF, just to say that it’s not as simple as “your wifi obviously isn’t good enough.”

2 Likes

I have had a good bit of wifi issues. Now, I also don’t use my GF frequently (maybe every 2-4 weeks), have many wifi devices in a very, very small home and share wifi with another home that I have little control over. I finally narrowed down that my Apple TV was a constant conflict so at least keep it unplugged when I use my GF but always have to go through setup if I use the Apple TV in between GF uses. It just is what it is. I can get mad or I can chose to enjoy my GF which is why I have it.

3 Likes

I’m sorry for the hassle.

When your Glowforge turns on, it tries to connect to the Wi-Fi SSID it was last connected to.

Once connected to the cloud app, it checks for any software updates, and if it sees one, it downloads, applies the update, and reboots. It’s designed to only reboot if it’s not busy, to minimize hassle.

The next time you’re going to turn your Glowforge on, try rebooting the Wi-Fi network equipment first. Give it a few minutes to settle, then turn on your Glowforge.

If it still doesn’t connect as expected, I’d like to see the logs at that point.

How to collect logs:

1. Reboot your Glowforge once more and wait about 30 seconds

2. Hold down the button on your Glowforge for ten seconds, until it glows with a teal color

3. Your Glowforge is now broadcasting a temporary Wi-Fi access point. Connect your computer to “Glowforge XXX-XXX” (from your Wi-Fi Settings)

4. Visit the following URL in your browser: http://192.168.192.1:3000/logs/zip

5. A .zip file should download to your computer

6. Reconnect to your usual Wi-Fi network and email the .zip file to support@glowforge.com

Please let me know if you run into any difficulty with these steps. Thanks!

This. I’ve never had an issue with mine EXCEPT when trying to run the camera calibration process. I bought a wifi repeater. I ended up having to install a separate wifi router to get it to complete. After which, I removed it and went back to the same wifi router I’ve had for 2 years.

It’s not just about “how good” your wifi is. Mine is fine, I have other devices (web cams and other home automation) on the same band, at much further distance.

Note that GF recently pushed out an update to make the machine more reliable over what was previously “marginal” wifi connections.

It’s been a little while since I’ve seen any replies on this thread so I’m going to close it. If you still need help with this please either start a new thread or email support@glowforge.com.